a hacker , nerd or programmer, but I assume it only takes a few lines
of code to be added to the basic acs chat code. Having this feature
would allow me to open up a customer service unit. I simply need to
know when somebody accesses the site and want's to talk. That's it,
plain and simple. I can not use java as it is blocked by corporate
firewalls.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
I feel we have a major communication problem, maybe offlist, but still important.  Another newbie thought...

End users like myself will find creative ways around complicated programming issues. The main problem lies in translating what we (END USERS) like to see altered. My quest for a simple bell on the chat is living proof ( I THINK) . Is there anybody outthere that can dream up a format that would help us dummies using what you wizzkids have build to explain what we would like to see changed so it works for mankind, without going back to school?

My idea would be be to open up a ticket tracker module on the OACS site so we would be able to talk and follow up requests. If one of you professionals would comment on what is realistic or not that would help a great deal. I have tried to communicate via the Bboard but that does not seem to work. It might also be usefull to know who's working on what enhancement. That would save duplicate questions.

If the tickettracker would have a choice of people to connect to for specific problems  ( "assign to" in ticket tracker) that would at least make sure someone with insight would get a message ... can you check this out....

The next phase could be... I will pay ...$ to you... if you solve my problem. Wouldn't that be great?

Cheers

Ben

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
i'm not sure why you keep asking the same question without giving additional information or reacting to previous answers.  I think the last time was at

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00021b&topic_id=11&topic=OpenACS

I gave what I thought was a perfectly good answer then. :)

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Hello Ben,
<br><br>
I encountered a javascript based instant messaging system on a German platform. It gives community members the option to send an IM to other members that are currently online. To make this possible they are integrating the following js code into every page:

<pre>
function showShortmessage(strAction)
{
    if (!strAction) strAction = "";
    jetzt = new Date();
    instWindow=window.open("/popup/instant_message.asp?sess=87E8A661x0992x40E3xAEE6x30CCD8D30B35m80x132x237x223&proxy=434&action="+strAction+"&zeit="+jetzt.getTime(), "Instantmessage", "toolbar=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,width=508,height=300");
    instWindow.focus();
}
</pre>

A solution would be to write a trigger that sends such a popup request to a list of online chat admins whenever a user enters the chat (a system message is inserted into the chat table). Additionally you could let the popup make some sound if you like.
<br><br>
When somebody with more javascript experience could jump into the popup thing and maybe somebody else into letting the popup make a sound, I could work on the trigger, because it surely would be a useful crm function...

Collapse
Posted by Hans Gaasenbeek on
Maybe I don't understand things, but the solution suggested here, something like 'embed src=chimes.wav border=0 width=0 height=0 autostart=true loop=false' does not work. If you put that on a page a sound will play when a user enters it... but only on this user's computer. I don't think what Ben wants is possible with html. Otherwise one would have to write a script that sends a short message to a moderator at the moment the page is requested.
Collapse
Posted by Matthew Burke on
Not that I've actually looked at the code or anything, but off the top of my head I would think that if you used a frameset you could have the frame showing the chat listing with an autorefresh and have a bottom frame where the user entered text.  Possibly add a third frame that gets autorefreshed and as necessary the server could rewrite that page with an onLoad in the body or an embed or some such that plays a sounds.

I do not, however, have any particular thoughts of getting around the caching that the server does.  Seems to me that's the big stumbling block for any sort of notifications, etc.

Collapse
Posted by MaineBob OConnor on

There is a Javascript version in openacs3 that uses framesets and you can follow the code here: ../www/chat/jschat.tcl

All you need is the some code in this module to play a sound.

In the "old" days, we used the teletype BELL charater which is a Ctrl-G or character 07. I don't think that this works any more...unless you connect your pc to an old teletype machine!

-Bob

Collapse
<i>something like 'embed src=chimes.wav border=0 width=0 height=0 autostart=true loop=false' does not work. If you put that on a page a sound will play when a user enters it... but only on this user's computer</i>

it will work fine.  put that in enter-room.tcl where it adds the line "so-and-so has entered the room," and all users will get the chime next time their browser refreshes the chat page.

Collapse
The instant message pop-up on the platform that I mentioned works without refreshing the page... It doesn't look like the site is auto-refreshing either... And it only works when you have their site open in your browser!

Is there a way of sending a pop-up to a special IP-address that is currently online??? For example when I go to /shared/whos-online.tcl, could there be a way of sending somebody on the list a pop-up message without the other person having to refresh his page or having to install a plug-in???

here is the page I am talking about... To try the function, login as davieboy + dav1d, click on the Davieboy link on the right below "freunde online" and send off an instant message to yourself...
Collapse
nope...  there is no connection unless the browser initiates it.  so you're pretty much stuck with a plugin or autorefreshing solution, although you can be clever with framesets as people have mentioned.

in your example for instance it's accessing /popup/instant_message.asp.  dunno what's supposed to happen from there cuz my german ran out after I clicked on davieboy under "friends online" and submitted the form that came up with a message.  the window changed to a bunch of german I couldn't read but I didn't see my message anywhere. :)

Collapse
That's funny, because I got your messages on my desktop... I just logged out... You can try it again and I think it will work!
Collapse
maybe I wasn't patient enough, but I ended up creating my own login :)

there's some pretty retarded html going on, but the javascript you pasted just opens up "my instant messenger." It's on that page because it's linked to the "my IM" and "away" hrefs. the send is handled by the form on visitenkarte. I can't paste it b/c bboard is turning it into an actual form but look for

input type=text name="instanttext" value="" class=schrift maxlength=255 size=30
I think it's the only form on that page anyway.

the checking for messages is done by the mailreload/mailcheck functions on the "main page" (default.asp). It's pretty clever; mailreload loads an image from the mailcheck page

function mailReload()
{ mailswap=new Image();
  jetzt = new Date();
  mailswap.src="/redirect/mailcheck.asp?sess=...&proxy=8528&time="+jetzt.getTime();
  mailcheck();
}
and then mailcheck takes the correct action based on the width of the image returned, including bringing up the "IM" popup. note that it uses window.settimeout to do this check this every 10 seconds.
Collapse
Oooh somebody turned off the messenger... I just turned it on again.  The link below the form for sending the IM away must say "(Away-Funktion an)"!

Ben, did you get your pop-up message?

Whenever you have the IM activated and surf to a new page the mozilla browser fills the bar on the bottom next to the offline and security icons after around 20 seconds and doesn't empty it anymore. The site doesn't seem to be reloaded though. It is probably only checking for new IMs... This doesn't happen when you are logged out (makes sense). And they don't have frames either...

What would you have to do in order to make your browser check for "is there a new IM or not" every 20 secs after a page has been loaded, but not reload the entire page? And whenever there is a new IM shoot up a pop-up to the user...

Collapse
Sorry Jonathan,

I didn't see your post, because I was writing my own...

Could this be a good solution for calling the admin via pop-up + sound whenever someone is entering the chat?

How could this look like in more detail?

I have a little internal message module running on my openacs 3.2.5 and it would be useful for that too...

Collapse
Okay my instant alert system is running with this javascript solution... It's pretty nice.

I finished off a first version for pop-up + sound chat alerts:

1. download chat-alert.tar.gz from the file-storage (https://openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file.tcl?file_id=350)

2. tar xvfz chat-alert.tar.gz

3. move the folders to www/

3. cut and paste the javascript from redirect/ad-defs.tcl.preload to ad_header inside tcl/ad-defs.tcl.preload

4. restart your aolserver

voila it should work....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What still has to be done:

1. At the moment the pop-up is being shown to all logged in users, which is bad. A solution for this would be to write a "chat_admin_p = 0 or 1" into the ad_session_id cookie...

This way you could read it out of the ad_session_id cookie parallel to [ad_verify_and_get_user_id] and wouldn't have to access the database everytime a page is loaded!!!

2. The chat link inside popup/instant-message.tcl could lead directly to the relevant chat...

3. chat_msgs could be enhanced by

popup_p char(1) default 'f' check (popup_p in ('t','f'))

This way popup/instant-message.tcl could update the relevant row into 't' so that a popup can't be shown twice....

That's it for the beginning....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In combination with the java chat by grandmaster Rocael this could be the *beginning* of a neat CustomerRelationshipManagement solution...

Collapse
nice job, David.
Thanks David for the grandmaster thing ;)

It's nice what you've done, and I guess the enhancements that you suggest are really good and need to be done. I great thing of this is that will increment the live interactions with all the visitors and the people behind the site because the users doesn't need to be logged in the chat. A sound possibility to the java chat has been suggested by Walter.

Collapse
Where exactly do I cut/paste the javascript code? (In other words, can you post a complete updated ad-defs.tcl.preload?)
Collapse
I pasted the code after [/head], but after installing all files, I do not get a popup or sound. In fact, the chat page which loads does not have a javascript component (when I view the source in a browser).

This is my ad-defs.tcl.preload (sorry for the large text file):

# /tcl/ad-defs.tcl
#
# Author: mailto:philg@arsdigita.com on April 2, 1998
#
# ArsDigita Community System Defs
#
# ad-defs.tcl.preload,v 3.6.2.3 2000/03/17 05:56:11 aure Exp
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# The following two procs use the ACS release tag to return the
# current version and release date.  In a development copy of acs the
# release tag is not expanded and these procs return "development" and
# "not released".  In a released copy the tag is expanded to something
# of the form "acs-major-minor-release-Ryyyymmdd", and these procs
# return e.g. "3.1.3" and "February 20, 2000".

util_report_library_entry

proc ad_acs_version {} {
    set release_tag {acs-3-2-2-R20000412}
    regexp "acs-(\[0-9\]+)-(\[0-9\]+)-(\[0-9\]+)" \
            $release_tag match major minor release

if {[info exists major] && [info exists minor] && [info exists release]} {
        return "$major.$minor.$release"
    } else {
        return "development"
    }
}

proc ad_acs_release_date {} {
    set release_tag {acs-3-2-2-R20000412}
    regexp "R(\[0-9\]+)" $release_tag match release_date

if {[info exists release_date]} {
        set year  [string range $release_date 0 3]
        set month [string range $release_date 4 5]
        set day  [string range $release_date 6 7]
    return [util_AnsiDatetoPrettyDate "$year-$month-$day"]
    } else {
        return "not released"
    }
}

# for setting cookies that will work on, e.g.,
# http://www.foobar.com and http://foobar.com
# we need to push user through the cookie-chain.tcl
# pipeline and use both host names explicitly

proc ad_need_cookie_chain_p {} {
    return [ad_parameter NeedCookieChainP]
}

proc ad_cookie_chain_first_host_name {} {
    return [ad_parameter CookieChainFirstHostName]
}

proc ad_cookie_chain_second_host_name {} {
    return [ad_parameter CookieChainSecondHostName]
}

# this is a technical person who can fix problems
proc ad_host_administrator {} {
    return [ad_parameter HostAdministrator]
}

# set to return 1 if there is a graphics site

proc ad_graphics_site_available_p {} {
    return [ad_parameter GraphicsSiteAvailableP]
}

# this is the main name of the Web service that you're offering
# on top of the Arsdigita Web Publishing System

proc ad_system_name {} {
    return [ad_parameter SystemName]
}

# This is the URL of a user's private workspace on the system, usually
# /pvt/home.tcl

proc ad_pvt_home {} {
    return "/pvt/home.tcl"
}

proc ad_pvt_home_name {} {
    return "workspace"
}

proc ad_pvt_home_link {} {
    return "<a href=\"/pvt/home.tcl\">your workspace</a>"
}

proc ad_site_home_link {} {
    if { [ad_get_user_id] != 0 } {
        return "<a href=\"/pvt/home.tcl\">[ad_system_name]</a>"
    } else {
        # we don't know who this person is
        return "<a href=\"/\">[ad_system_name]</a>"
    }
}

# person who owns the service
# this person would be interested in user feedback, etc.

proc ad_system_owner {} {
    return [ad_parameter SystemOwner]
}

# a human-readable name of the publisher, suitable for
# legal blather

proc ad_publisher_name {} {
    return [ad_parameter PublisherName]
}

proc ad_url {} {
    # this will be called by email alerts. Do not use ns_conn location
    return [ad_parameter SystemURL]
}

proc ad_present_user {user_id name} {
    return "<a href=\"/shared/community-member.tcl?user_id=$user_id\">$name</a>"
}

proc ad_admin_present_user {user_id name} {
    return "<a href=\"/admin/users/one.tcl?user_id=$user_id\">$name</a>"
}

proc_doc ad_header {page_title {extra_stuff_for_document_head ""}} "writes HEAD, TITLE, and BODY t

if {[ad_parameter MenuOnUserPagesP pdm] == 1} {

return [ad_header_with_extra_stuff $page_title [ad_pdm] [ad_pdm_spacer]]

} else {

return [ad_header_with_extra_stuff $page_title $extra_stuff_for_document_head]

}
}

proc_doc ad_header_with_extra_stuff {page_title {extra_stuff_for_document_head ""} {pre_content_ht
    set html "<html>
<head>
$extra_stuff_for_document_head
<title>$page_title</title>
<script language=\"javascript\">
<!--

function showShortmessage(strAction) {
    if (!strAction) strAction = \"\";
    jetzt = new Date();
    instWindow=window.open(\"/popup/instant-message.tcl?action=\"+strAction, \"Instantmessage\", \
    instWindow.focus();
}

[ad_decode [ad_verify_and_get_user_id] "0" "" "
function mailReload() {
  mailswap=new Image();
  mailswap.src=\"/redirect/mailcheck.tcl\";
  mailcheck();
}

function mailcheck() {
  if (mailswap.complete) {
    if (mailswap.width==5) {
          showShortmessage();
    }
    window.setTimeout(\"mailReload()\",30000)
  } else {
    //Image not loaded yet
    window.setTimeout(\"mailcheck()\",1000)
  }
}

mailReload();
"]

// -->
</script>
</head>
"
  if { [info exists prefer_text_only_p] && $prefer_text_only_p == "f" && [ad_graphics_site_avail
        append html "<body bgcolor=\"[ad_parameter bgcolor "" "white"]\" background=\"[ad_paramete
    } else {
        append html "<body bgcolor=[ad_parameter bgcolor "" "white"] text=[ad_parameter textcolor
    }

append html $pre_content_html
    return $html
}

proc_doc ad_footer {{signatory ""} {suppress_curriculum_bar_p 0}} "writes a horizontal rule, a mai

global sidegraphic_displayed_p
    if [empty_string_p $signatory] {
        set signatory [ad_system_owner]
    }
    if { [info exists sidegraphic_displayed_p] && $sidegraphic_displayed_p } {
        # we put in a BR CLEAR=RIGHT so that the signature will clear any side graphic
        # from the ad-sidegraphic.tcl package
        set extra_br "<br clear=right>"
    } else {
        set extra_br ""
    }
    if { [ad_parameter EnabledP curriculum 0] && [ad_parameter StickInFooterP curriculum 0] && !$s
        set curriculum_bar "<center>[curriculum_bar]</center>"
    } else {
        set curriculum_bar ""
    }
    return "
$extra_br
$curriculum_bar
<hr>
<a href=\"mailto:$signatory\"><address>$signatory</address></a>
</body>
</html>"
}

# need special headers and footers for admin pages
# notably, we want pages signed by someone different
# (the user-visible pages are probably signed by
# mailto:webmaster@yourdomain.com; the admin pages are probably
# used by this person or persons.  If they don't like
# the way a page works, they should see a link to the
# email address of the programmer who can fix the page).

proc ad_admin_owner {} {
    return [ad_parameter AdminOwner]
}

proc_doc ad_admin_header {page_title {db ""}} "" {
    if {[ad_parameter MenuOnAdminPagesP pdm] == 1} {

return [ad_header_with_extra_stuff $page_title [ad_pdm "admin" 5 5 $db] [ad_pdm_spacer "ad

} else {

return [ad_header_with_extra_stuff $page_title]

}
}

proc_doc ad_admin_footer {} "Signs pages with ad_admin_owner (usually a programmer who can fix bug
    return "<hr>
<a href=\"mailto:[ad_admin_owner]\"><address>[ad_admin_owner]</address></a>
</body>
</html>"
}

proc_doc ad_return_complaint {exception_count exception_text} "Return a page complaining about the
    # there was an error in the user input
    if { $exception_count == 1 } {
        set problem_string "a problem"
      set please_correct "it"
    } else {
        set problem_string "some problems"
        set please_correct "them"
    }

ns_return 200 text/html "[ad_header_with_extra_stuff "Problem with Your Input" "" ""]

<h2>Problem with Your Input</h2>

to <a href=/>[ad_system_name]</a>

<hr>

We had $problem_string processing your entry:

<ul>

$exception_text

</ul>

Please back up using your browser, correct $please_correct, and
resubmit your entry.

<p>

Thank you.

[ad_footer]
"}

proc ad_return_error {title explanation} {
    ns_return 500 text/html "[ad_header_with_extra_stuff $title "" ""]
<h2>$title</h2>
<hr>
$explanation
[ad_footer]"
}

# like the above proc, but w/status 200 because it's just a warning
proc ad_return_warning {title explanation} {
    ns_return 200 text/html "[ad_header_with_extra_stuff $title "" ""]
<h2>$title</h2>
<hr>
$explanation
[ad_footer]"
}

proc_doc ad_return_if_another_copy_is_running {{max_simultaneous_copies 1} {call_adp_break_p 0}} {
    # first let's figure out how many are running and queued
    set this_connection_url [ns_conn url]
    set n_matches 0
    foreach connection [ns_server active] {
        set query_connection_url [lindex $connection 4]
        if { $query_connection_url == $this_connection_url } {
            # we got a match (we'll always get at least one
            # since we should match ourselves)
            incr n_matches
        }
    }
    if { $n_matches > $max_simultaneous_copies } {
        ad_return_warning "Too many copies" "This is an expensive page for our server, which is al
        # blow out of the caller as well
        if $call_adp_break_p {
            # we were called from an ADP page; we have to abort processing
            ns_adp_break
        }
        return -code return
    }
    # we're okay
    return 1
}

proc ad_record_query_string {query_string db subsection n_results {user_id "NULL"}} {

if { $user_id == 0 } {
        set user_id "NULL"
    }

ns_db dml $db "insert into query_strings
(query_date, query_string, subsection, n_results, user_id)
values
([db_sysdate], '[DoubleApos $query_string]', '[DoubleApos $subsection]', $n_results, $user_id)"
}

proc ad_pretty_mailing_address_from_args {db line1 line2 city state postal_code country_code} {
    set lines [list]
    if [empty_string_p $line2] {
        lappend lines $line1
    } elseif [empty_string_p $line1] {
        lappend lines $line2
    } else {
        lappend lines $line1
        lappend lines $line2
    }
    lappend lines "$city, $state $postal_code"
    if { ![empty_string_p $country_code] && $country_code != "us" } {
        lappend lines [ad_country_name_from_country_code $db $country_code]
    }
    return [join $lines "\n"]
}

# this relies on the variable $db being set already

proc_doc ad_get_user_info {} {Sets first_name, last_name, email in the environment of its caller.}
    uplevel {set user_id [ad_get_user_id]
    if [catch {set selection [ns_db 1row $db "select * from users where user_id=$user_id"]} errmsg
  ad_return_error "Couldn't find user info" "Couldn't find user info."
        return
    }
    set_variables_after_query
}
}

# for pages that have optional decoration

proc_doc ad_decorate_top {simple_headline potential_decoration} "Use this for pages that might or
    if [empty_string_p $potential_decoration] {
        return $simple_headline
    } else {
        return "<table cellspacing=10><tr><td>$potential_decoration<td>$simple_headline</tr></tabl
    }
}

proc_doc ad_parameter {name {subsection ""} {default ""}} {Returns the value of a configuration pa
    set server_name [ns_info server]
    append config_path "ns/server/" $server_name "/acs"
    if ![empty_string_p $subsection] {
        append config_path "/$subsection"
    }
    set config_value [ns_config $config_path $name]
    if ![empty_string_p $config_value] {
        return $config_value
    } else {
        return $default
    }
}

proc_doc ad_parameter_section {{subsection ""}} {Returns all the vars in a parameter section as an
    set server_name [ns_info server]
    append config_path "ns/server/" $server_name "/acs"
    if ![empty_string_p $subsection] {
        append config_path "/$subsection"
}
    set what_aolserver_gave_us [ns_configsection $config_path]
    if [empty_string_p $what_aolserver_gave_us] {
        return [ns_set new "empty set for config section"]
    } else {
        return $what_aolserver_gave_us
    }
}