Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: navigation changes in dotLRN: RFC

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
You are missing the name because of a missing update of acs-subsite. the new version should have the languages key in it (actually, we are using acs-subsite 5.2, maybe this explains as well).

APM Parameters is supposed to be the place where a *USER* administrator can change the behaviour of a package. Adding TABS to the navigation is something that should not require code but be handled through a parameter. So I don't think your statement is correct in its broadness 😊.

Honestly, it doesn't matter, but we need certain tabs for .LRN to work, so I decided to keep them in there hardcoded, but this is totally up for grabs :).

The standard behaviour in .LRN is to have a TAB with the community name for the community and this is what I did. I'm not sure if "Flashing Red" "you are here" is the best way, but if you know where to place the name of the community you are at in a very prominent place (which the top left is, at least in western civilizations that read from top left to bottom right), I'm all ears.

I didn't get around to make the logo "optional". You could do this by adding a parameter "LogoURL" and use the LogoURL parameter in your files where you want to put the logo to. So if someone doesn't want a Logo or wants to change it he can just remove the content of the LogoURL parameter. (And you can just to a "< if @logo_url@ ne "" >" in your selva-master.adp).

The navbar-list variable is used in the latest version of the code. Actually it is passed in as a property by packages like contacts or project-manager that have their own navigation bar, but now can use your one (see the posting of the pictures to get an idea how this looks like).

The log in tab will only show if the user is logged in, otherwise the logout tab will show. This is standard OpenACS behaviour and the code was strictly taken from site-master.tcl.

Which menu bar are you talking about. If you mean the one below the subnavbar navigation then it does not make sense to show it if there is no information in it, or does it?

Collapse
Posted by Jeremy Monnet on
locales : if the package needs a specific version, shouldn't we have a "require" tag in the .info ? Or maybe use a catalog in the package, so it is acs-version independant ?

apm_parameter : I thought (for the name) that it was related to the instalation parameters of the packages ? Anyway the concept behind the tabs is to review the whole navigation logic for the dotlrn. This is what I insisted for Rafael to start this thread : this is not only adding some links or tabs, to is reviewing (and simplifying whenever possible) the navigation through the dotlrn system. I honestly think that before starting writing any piece of code, I should have come and start a complete debate with the dotlrn community about what things and how we can do it. Not every one of us is looking for the same things, and before coding all our different thinkings, we should agree on what we want, should we ?

community_tab : An excellent remark from my girlfriend : there is already the community written : in the "where_you_are" links. But we can certainly improve this display ? Otherwise I can just add it on top of the tabs (top left, just below the where_you_are section).

navbar_list: I understood that for the next release the dotlrn will still use openacs 5.1 because it has not been fuly tested on 5.2 ? Did I miss something ?

login/logout tabs : They are in the "make_navbar_p" section. My understanding (although I didn't look for what was setting this boolean) is that it creates a navbar only when user is logged in ? (for the 2 months I'm working with the dotlrn, this is what I saw)

menubar : yes, the one below the tabs. It does make sense if you understand my feeling about what user should see. I can not improve the core-openacs, because I'm too young in that software. However, the best I can bring into this community IS my youth 😊 I can tell you all my feelings as a new user, all the problems I encounter, and what I expected. hen we can discuss about what you wanted to show and to do. But only if you want to make the software easier for newcomers. If you think you don't need that, or that newcomers will become strong after a few months, and this is a lose of time to simplify it, I will just shut up my feelings ...

Jeremy