Forum .LRN Q&A: Preseting Portals

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I have two questions:

a) How do I define the layout of the portal templates during installation of my site. I want to setup 5 sites exactly the same and have no intention of manually changing the portal templates each time (and yes, making a dump after the first install and reuse the dump is an option, albeit one which I don't like).

b) More importantly though i'd like to know how I can put additional portlets in the default templates. Currently I have e.g. four different portlets that are contained in /packages/project-manager-portlet/ and registered with .LRN. Sadly only the first one is shown when editing the default templates, the rest doesn't show up. This means though, with each new community we have to *manually* change the layout (again), as we can't add the other portlets in the default layout for communities.

Any ideas and/or help is highly appreciated as otherwise I'd have to dive into the depts of new-portal cum .LRN and this already feels like a dive in oily waters. You can't see anything, it is slippery all around you and you are lucky if you hit your target.

Collapse
2: Re: Preseting Portals (response to 1)
Posted by Victor Guerra on
Hi Malte,

a) You can play around with some parameters defined in the dotlrn package: subcomm_pages_csv, club_pages_csv, user_portal_pages_csv, class_instance_pages_csv. In those parameters you can change the number of pages and the layout for each page.

Now, if you want to change the portlets position, then you could modify the ad_self_to_page proc defined for each portlet, so you can indicate in wich region and what page do you want the porlet to be added. Im not sure if there is another way of doing this.

b) I have been working on a new interface for adding portlets to the default portal templates, but it has not been contributed yet. Also I implemented some functionality for applying a given template to a group of users/communities/subcommunities. Maybe this new stuff could work for what you want to do.

Regards,
Victor Guerra.

Collapse
3: Re: Re: Preseting Portals (response to 2)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Victor, did you manage to polish your things up as it would come really handy now 😊.

I need to reset all communities and all users on my site to the given templates and it looks like you managed to do this already. Have you committed the code and if yes, where to ?

If not, would you mind committing it or sending it to me so I can make use of it?

Thanks for your help anyway.