Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Subsite Strange Behavior (Cross-post)

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Sorry ... I've been really busy with client work and haven't had time to take a look at your subsites issues.  I know a lot of other folks are really busy at the moment, too ... unfortunately the toolkit's gotten to the point where a fair number of people are using it to build sites for customers.

I should've held off on starting this release process for another six months, then people would be afraid to use it and volunteering for openacs instead! :)

(I'm just joking!  Honest!)

I hope to find time this weekend to take a look, myself.  My first check will be to make sure that the Oracle and PG version work the same way.  I'm assuming you use PG?

If I'm right (you're using PG) and the Oracle and PG versions show differing behavior, then we have a porting bug.  If the Oracle and PG versions show the same behavior then it sounds as though there are some design flaws.

Not too many folks are using acs-subsite AFAICT.  It's a very useful feature and we need to make it work right, certainly, but ... relatively few sites need full subsiting.  I think once people start playing with acs-subsite (when it works better, anyway!) they'll start thinking up novel ways of using it but thus far it's not been heavily used.