Forum OpenACS Q&A: ticket-tracker

Collapse
Posted by Vince T on
Couple of questions regarding ticket tracker. I'm trying to build a
customer care type sytem using ticket-tracker and workflow on
OACS4.5.

1. Is there an existing way for users to have only certain tickets
viewable? For example: clients can only see tickets pertaining to
their company (a group). Seems like I will have to modify some.

2. What is the difference between ticket-tracker and wf-ticket-
tracker? I tried installing wf-ticket-tracker but couldnt get it
working. I get the same error already reported for that module
(1398). Just wanted to make sure I was going forward with the correct
module.

Thanks.

Collapse
2: Response to ticket-tracker (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Vincent,

Here are my answers:

1. You mount different instance of ttracker for each company or group.

2. wf-ticket-tracker I believe will be dropped, not sure though I hope someone can post a definite answer here.

Collapse
3: Response to ticket-tracker (response to 1)
Posted by Vince T on
Thanks Jun for the insight. I was just wondering about the scalability of mounting ticket-tracker for every customer. We already have almost a hundred customers. And if I do mount for every customer. Will the administrators and techs be able to centrally administer the tickets? I just haven't tried this scenario yet.

What I was working on was adding a groupid field to the tickets and sort by that for customer views. What do you think?

Collapse
4: Response to ticket-tracker (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Vincent,

I think using permissions, relationships and groups may be less scalable than using the package awareness of OpenACS applications.  Please have a look at the data model of OpenACS and ticket tracker.  Unless you want a very granular security model I suggest not to use grouping and permissions on the ticket level.

Regarding the central administration of the tickets you may want to create some custom pages that will show you tickets regardless of package_id.

My approach is like removing rather than adding functionality.

Collapse
5: Response to ticket-tracker (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Yes, wf-ticket-tracker should be completely removed from the surface of the earth. It's really my mistake that it hasn't been before.

The only point of writing it was as an example of how to use workflow with your package. It was never meant to be used for anything past that.

Now that there's real ticket-tracker (not-lite), it should be removed from the repository.

Collapse
6: Response to ticket-tracker (response to 1)
Posted by David Walker on
1. workflow ticket tracker is still in there
2. Does ticket tracker utilize workflows?
Collapse
7: Response to ticket-tracker (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi,

Ticket Tracker makes use of workflow.  Ticket Tracker Lite does not use workflow.  Workflow ticket tracker I believe will be junked out later.