Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to askme.com style modules?

Collapse
Posted by Dean Des Rosiers on
I am new to ACS, and have a lot of experience in web-based KM development.  The ideas in this thread sound great.  The design and development of a "general-ratings" module is something I'd like to work on.

I think the idea would be to allow the creation of "rating-dimensions."  Each dimension would have it's own "scale," "description," and "instructions."  The scale would be a numeric range or a list of "phrase value pairs."  The description would be the "title." The instructions could be additional help text available to a user.  Each rating-dimension could be associated with one or more objects in the system.  A rating would be a relationship among a user, an object, a rating-dimension, and a point on the rating-dimension's scale.

This could be an object-level service.  Users could rate other users, themselves, a bboard answer, or an entire bboard instance.  It would depend upon the application.

I'd be interested to know what my next steps should be.  Should I post my ideas here or start a package where the documents can grow collaboratively?  If the latter, how do I get CVS permissions?

Looking forward to it.