Forum OpenACS Development: Response to General Comments and subsites

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
I guess I thought users cannot tell where (or how many) GC packages are mounted, nor need they care. In our site, the comments are like attachments to the underlying object they are referring to. No?

I think you are right, though the "view details" link in the comments display of the current implementation *does* need to know where GC is mounted. The main reason I started hacking GC, though, had nothing to do with displaying comments - it was because I could not get the "Add a comment" link to work correctly with subsites (both the garden variety and domain based). While I was at it, I thought it'd be nice to have the ability to create discrete GC instances. I am planning to set up a single OACS installation with domain based subsites and I'd like to be able to delegate the management of comments on different sites to different people. I guess that would be the requirement, in answer to Roger's question. Does that make sense?

So the impetus behind the patch was to correct the general_comments_package_url proc, which was just wrong. The package_id/subsite stuff just seemed like low-hanging fruit. It was basically modeled on what I saw in the News package.