Forum OpenACS Q&A: University of Mannheim offers grants: Apply now!

<h2>University of Mannheim Grants 2005.</h2>

The University of Mannheim is pleased to announce the offering a number of grants to those who provide substantial improvements to OpenACS and .LRN. We expect to award several projects in the next 3-6 month with 500 EUR to 5,000 EUR depending on their size.

<h2>Guidelines.</h2>

Proposals must be in the area of development, usability, performance/scalability, architecture or user interface. We also encourage developers, institutions and companies to seize the change to make available their work and efforts not yet published to cvs.openacs.org or to extend existing packages.

<h2>Deadlines.</h2>

The deadline for submitting the proposal is Saturday, 8th. October 2005.

Selected projects must start as soon as possible.

<h2>Proposal.</h2>

Please submit

• a summary
  • a detailed description of the proposal
  • the results/deliverables the OpenACS/.LRN community will expect to see
  • why it should matter to OpenACS/.LRN
  • Requirements and Design Specs
  • the different phases of the project
  • the project timeline
  • the amount of work involved
  • the persons and institutions involved
for each proposal to mailto:mazloumi@uni-mannheim.de.

<h2>Who is Eligible.</h2>

Proposals may be submitted by individuals, teams, or companies. At least two years of membership in the OpenACS community is required. Also two years of OpenACS development experience or comparable references in OpenACS/.LRN projects is required.

<h2>What Licenses to Choose.</h2>

It is required that you choose either GPL, BSD (sans advertising) or LGPL for your project.

<h2>Selection.</h2>

The selection will be made by the University of Mannheim.

<h2>Questions.</h2>

Please do not hesitate to contact mailto:mazloumi@uni-mannheim.de for further questions.

<h2>Rules.</h2>
The following rules apply if not regulated individually in special cases.

• cvs.openacs.org must be used during the project (Guidelines).
  • A webbased project management environment has to be used in order for contractor to review and follow the development process.
  • Regular meetings and reports must take place and be documented with protocols/minutes.
  • A documentation for end users and developers must be provided the deliverables. Technical documentations must comply with UML.
  • The Engineering Standards must be followed.
  • The packages must provide installation, unistallation and test scripts.
  • Target database is PostgreSQL.
<h2>Some Ideas.</h2>
Here some ideas submitted so far:
  • Integration of WSDL Webservices into custom portlets
  • Improvement of the User Interaction with .LRN
  • Further extension of the Assessment Package
  • Further extending the LORS-Pakages
  • Efforts in the field of IMS Learning Design
  • Extension of the Package Manager
  • Integration with Translation Server and Babylon
  • Integration and Improvement of the Webmail System in .LRN
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
<h2>Some More Ideas.</h2>
  • Extension to tsearch2
  • Improving Wiki
  • Extending Project Manager for Research Projects
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Out of curiousity, what do people envision when talking about an extension of PM for research projects. My (limited) thinking was that it is enought to create a research community in .LRN and mount the PM application to it. This would allow the users to create a project (maybe we could autogenerate the first one) and add tasks to it.
Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Nima,

Would extending dotfolio count? I would like to add categories, ratings, and a competency matrix to the application. Funding for this stuff would be nice. :)

Regards,
Nick.

Collapse
Sure!
Collapse
Short reminder: Deadline is Saturday!
Collapse
I have now some interesting proposals together. For all those willing to participate please don't forget to send me your proposal until saturday evening.
Collapse
Thank you for sending me the proposals. I will post the decision and inform the receivers my mail.
Collapse
9: Announcement (response to 1)
<h2>Announcement - University of Mannheim Grants 2005</h2>

I am happy to announce the approval of 4 proposals as part of the Mannheim Grants 2005. I would like to thank all those who sent in their proposals. What

The projects that will be funded are as follows:

• Oleg Bartunov/Teodor Sigaev: Extension of the tsearch2 module for PostgreSQL
  • varioNetWorks: Improvement of the user interaction design of .LRN
  • KnowledgeMarkets Consulting: Provision of three i18nized, productively used packages: Homework assignemts, Problem-based-Learning and Gradebook
  • Nicholas Carrol: Development of Curriculum Central

All projects are expected to be finished until end of March. We hope that the resulting work will improve the user experience and quality of OpenACS and .LRN

I wish all members of this community Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
An excellent xmas present! Thank you very much Nima!

I have already started work on Curriculum Central. In fact the package has already been checked into cvs.openacs.org as curriculum-central. It is still very much a work in progress, although I have managed to get the workflow working.

I now need to extend the datamodel for some additional course information, and extend the workflow further to include side effects and notifications. Plus work in the course maps, so that a student will be able to work out a study plan for completing their degree stream.

Cheers,
Nick.

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Nima, Thank you for your leadership on this and University of Mannheim for funding these projects. Congratulations also to the winners.
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Nima,

This is a great thing!

Would you and submitters be willing to post the detailed so we know what to expect ;) You never know we might be able to get some other funders intersested in continuing the work.

I would be interested in reading both winning and non-winning proposals.

Thanks

Collapse
Caroline: Can the participants please raise and explain their project? Thanks