Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to exim vs qmail for MTA

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
That Rick guy is an idiot. Or at least, I've never heard of him before, but he sure comes across like one on that web page. E.g., he spouts that qmail is "characterised by bizarrely wrong design" because DJB insists that qmail "binary packages must install all files including libraries, binaries, and configuration files within /var/qmail". Except, that has nothing to do with the design of qmail at all... I've never looked at the qmail code myself, maybe it really is poorly designed - but that Rick's guys statement has pretty much zero relevance to answering the question of whether it is or not. Very poorly reasoned.

Varshavchik's Courier MTA complaints about qmail, that Jon pointed out above, make a lot more sense.

FYI, Debian users may want to grab Gerrit Pape's qmail, daemontools, djbdns, etc. packages. Unfortunately his documentation and discussion is so terse as to make unix man pages seem encyclopedic, but his packages seem to install fine, and the very limited use I've put them to so far hasn't turned up any problems.