page one column wide by simply putting all your portlets in the
left-hand column. This made it possible to take up the entire
page width with portlets that really need the space (e.g., full
calendar). I noticed that this behavior is not present in the recent
dotLRN snapshot I'm working with.

Will that change?

Collapse
Posted by Arjun Sanyal on
Michael, Currently, the new-portals system doesn't do this sort of auto-collapse/-expand of columns based on the position of the elements on the page, and I don't think it should. Users will be able to change the number of columns but _only if_ that's the action explicitly requested and only in the proper context. Why?  Otherwise an ACES-like system that allows the number of columns to change "on-the-fly" would most likely break site designs that depend on a fixed number of columns. And I want to avoid conflating these two independent things (number of cols, and element arrangement) in the UI.

I hope that explanation helped somewhat. I plan to write up an detailed architecture guide for new-portals RSN...

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Arjun, your points make sense. What I really want to know,
though is whether/when it will be possible in dotLRN to use
some of the existing portlets in one-column pages. Full-calendar
is just to cramped to use in a two-column page.
Collapse
Hmm, we have "full-calendar" (and "documents") placed on 1-column pages by default. I would guess that this is an issue with your installation of dotlrn. Check out http://helice.mit.edu:8080 for the canonical example and you should update your dotlrn and (OpenACS) install to the latest CVS HEAD.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Aha! That helps, thanks.

In the snapshot I have, it is also only possible to create 2-column
new portal pages (AFAICT). Am I supposed to be able to choose
the number of columns when I create a new page?

Collapse
Yes, one should be able to choose the number of columns when creating a new page, but as you found out, currently the system just defaults to 2 columns. I'll
be fixing this after some other work.