Forum OpenACS Development: Re: SharePoint: AJAX Tables for List Builder?

Collapse
Posted by Michael Aram on

I just wanted to mention here that I am currently developing a specialization of xotcl-core's TableWidget called ::YUI::DataTable, which progressively enhances the markup generated by the TableWidget.

It behaves a little bit different compared to the standard OpenACS tables regarding the form, which wraps the table. Instead of changing the forms "action" attribute via JavaScript when the user clicks on a bulk-action, I implemented each bulk-action as a submit button. The value of the button represents the method called on the object, which "sits behind" the action-url of the form.

However, this code is subject to frequent changes and currently not very well isolated. I will publish it as soon as it is mature enough (beta or so).

Collapse
Posted by Nathan Lunt on
That's essentially what my Datatable table.adp list template does. My table.adp is a drop-in replacement for the existing one and does progressive enhancement. I actually did it for cosmetic reasons (to match other non-list Datatables), and to get the row highlighting. Beyond that, the only thing I can think of that this provides is client-side sorting, which ultimately is quite difficult to do right in a template because of the varying data types.

If we could define data types for the columns and specify a URL for retrieving JSON data to populate, we'd have pretty much everything we need for an "ajaxified" table except inline editing, but as mentioned previously, the inline editing might be better handled by a form template. I'm really not sure about that, yet.