Forum OpenACS Development: Converting word pasted quotes in textareas to regular ascii double quotes.

I am attempting to convert word pasted quotes in textareas to regular ASCII double quotes via a regsub. Word uses the following sequence of special byte-code characters when text is copied and pasted from a word document into a textara (which I found out by logging the text input with ns_log):

\342\200\234 is open quote
\342\200\235 is close quote

I can insert later parts into my emacs buffer with C-q 200, C-q 234, C-q 235 respecively. But the C-q 342 inserts a lower case A with a ^ on top, i.e. "â" (I wrote it out so that just in case you don't see the character correctly on your screen you know what I am talking about) instead of the byte block \342.

The most frustrating thing about this is that I was able to get this to work last week, on the same computer using the same SSH client to access that computer using the same exact file on the file system and it correctly replace the three character byte blocks with regular ACSII double quotes. When I went to edit that file today I got the "â" and I can't do anything about it. Does anybody know how I can either get my emacs buffer to work the way it did last week (no changes were made to my .emacs file)? Or, more importantly fix this quoting issue?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Matthew,

We were discussing this the other day in this thread.

You can use the regular expressions I posted up to search and replace the smart tags. I used the expressions in a perl script as I had to modify a few thousand documents. I'm not sure if it applies to emacs.

Cheers,
Nick.