Forum OpenACS Q&A: ACS mentioned in CRMDaily.com

Collapse
Posted by Radam Batnag on
ACS aka Red Hat CCM was mentioned in CRMDaily.com:  http://www.crmdaily.com/perl/story/18092.html    Sadly, OpenACS was never mentioned.    Excerpt:  Red Hat's content and collaboration management (CCM) products create a Web-based workspace in which employees can collaborate on projects. The workspace can also be designed to join business customers in the collaboration effort.
Collapse
Posted by G. Armour Van Horn on
I dropped by the site and skimmed the article, then added this comment:

"RedHat CCM was originally a product called ACS, which was acquired when ArsDigita of Cambridge Massachussets was recently acquired. ACS stands for ArsDigita Community System, and works with an Oracle database at the back end. There is also a completely open version of ACS called OpenACS (www.openacs.org) which can use either Oracle or PostgreSQL as the backend data server. Incidentally, both products use AOLServer, another open-source product, as the actual web server."

I don't know if anyone reads the comments on this site, or even whether my comment will survive "editorial review," but I tried to get our name in there.

Collapse
Posted by Vadim Nasardinov on
Incidentally, both products use AOLServer, another open-source product, as the actual web server.

Incidentally, this is factually incorrect. RedHat CCM, nee ACSJ, does not use AOLServer.

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Hi Vadim, "Will Red Hat change the license for ACSJ from ADPL to GPL? [RH press release 2002]

I'm asking, for there was no update since the press release and we would appreciate if you (or someone else from Redhat) could fill us in about Redhat plans w.r.t acs-java.

Also, IIRC, there used to be a forum for design discussions of acs-java which was restricted to employess-only at some stage and it's not currently available. Are there any plans to open that forum and/or make the archive available to the public?

Collapse
Posted by Vadim Nasardinov on
Neophytos,

As far as I know, CCM is going to be released RSN under some sort of
non-ADPL license.  Richard Li may answer this in more detail.

Collapse
Thanks Vadim, looking forward for the new release.
Collapse
Posted by Richard Li on
We will be making CCM Core 5.0 (aka ACSJ aka ACS Java) and CCM CMS 5.0 available for download from redhat.com by the middle of next week. It will be licensed under the CCM Public License, which is identical to the IBM Public License 1.0 except for the name. The reason why we are using the IBM PL and not the GPL is because the IBM PL more thoroughly addresses indemnification and liability issues, and the text of the PL is better written, making the license easier to explain to corporate attorneys.
Collapse
Richard, thanks for the update. I suppose that CCM 5.0 will also be available for PostgreSQL (RHDB) -- if possible, could you confirm whether or not that is the case? Moreover, are there any plans of how/if Redhat is gonna accept community contributions?
Collapse
Posted by Richard Li on
Thanks for your interest, Neophytos. The 5.0 release doesn't support RHDB. However, support for RHDB is definitely in our roadmap, and we plan on releasing support for RHDB in the future (no ETA yet, unfortunately). 5.0 does lay a significant amount of groundwork for supporting multiple databases; it includes our MDSQL engine that automatically generates SQL. We're moving towards a model of having the MDSQL engine generate the SQL automatically for you, which will make supporting multiple databases manageable.

Regarding community development, we will be migrating the arsdigita.com/bboards to a new Red Hat set of bboards (powered by CCM) in the coming months. Like everyone else, we need to balance resources and help our customers first, but we are committed to making this happen. We already are in Red Hat's bugzilla database (http://bugzilla.redhat.com) and we will be leveraging more of Red Hat's resources in the future.

Collapse
Posted by joel park on
Hi Richard,

Just to follow up on Neophytos's question about community contribution: is Redhat planning to port any of OpenACS's modules, the ones that aren't already there like wimpypoint, classifieds, over to CCM? If so, it would be useful if there was a list of these for people contemplating module development, so as to avoid duplication of work. A porting document would probably be useful too.

Anyway I'd like to add my thanks to Neophytos's for the updates.

Joel

Collapse
Posted by Tapiwa Sibanda on
I posted something here about the aplaws project in the UK.

I saw a demo at the aplaws conference a couple of weeks ago... very slick. Looks like it is the ACS Java cms with customisations. I am not sure what other modules have been ported.

It is available for download,and has been released under GPL licence. I will try and install it this weekend and will post results.

Wonder how this ties in with the stock RH CCM release. Both RH and the aplaws project management were talking about less than a year to a postgres version. Their paperwork regarding TCO only had Oracle licences for a year, following which the DB would be replaced by Postgres/RHDB.

Collapse
Posted by Richard Li on
Red Hat is not planning on porting any of the old ACS modules right now. We are focused on CMS, ECM, and Core products.
Collapse
Posted by Richard Li on
CCM Core 5.0 and CMS 5.0 are now available for download at https://www.redhat.com/apps/survey/ccm_survey.html.