Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Is this a bug: right after creating pkg in APM, key is not known but should be

Please don't do this kind of thing without testing first to make sure your understanding is correct ...
The intended behavior of the function was unclear to me (after I boldly described one possible workflow above). I realize now that the goal could be either installing the package with creation, or creating it without installing. Furthermore, I do poorly at reading the minds of core developers.

I tried to be as specific as possible with the revised language by describing the actual actions taken, and suggesting a server restart to complete the install.. until a core developer could revise it appropriately.

http://fisheye.openacs.org/changelog/OpenACS/?cs=MAIN%3Atorbenb%3A20100407165017

The language change seems appropriate for the circumstances until a fix is made; and a fix should include revising it.

cheers,

Torben

I kind of jumped on this thread a little bit late...
But i want to leave my comments!

I have realized this behavior a while ago. It got me confused at first. I believe this started in the oacs 5.4 core.

I quite remember old versions of oacs worked fine. It means right after creating a package on APM, the package was showed in the list and the new package was possible to be mounted without restart the system.

I am not saying which one, new or past behavior, is the correct one. I just would like to understand why to restart the system is needed (because it is a bit confusing). And why it wasn't necessary in the old versions.

it would be great (if really needed), that restarting was forced by the system. Then misunderstanding or "misleadings" will be gone for good!

cheers

It is possible that caching has changed. It's also possible that your memory is faulty ...
Restart isn't necessary, and after restart you're still not going to be offered the chance to install the package because it's already installed.

Please remove the text.

As far as being able to read the minds of core developers, this code goes all the way back to something like ACS 3.5, at Ars Digita. Personally I think it's a poor implementation choice, but without a complete rewrite of the APM it's the implementation choice we're going to have to live with. The failure to create a package type for the new package is a bug, pure and simple, and will be fixed.