Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Oracle and PG versions getting out of sync

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Thanks Torben.

I will add more information on porting PostgreSQL and Oracle code back and forth to that page soon.

Janine,

I'll bring it up at the OCT meeting. I think breaking Oracle is a bug, and it is not acceptable, but, personally I can't keep track on every change in every package.

So, a policy on supporting Oracle is one thing, education of developers is the second. A simple statement in the developer documentation and documentation on how to support both databases will help. We also will need volunteers to help developers out, and possibly even gently remind them if they forget.

I think we should clearly communicate how to support Oracle, and let developers know if they need help converting to Oracle, or help testing their Oracle code, that someone will be able to help out. This is where folks with Oracle installs can help.

I think in the past there has been discussion of a general Oracle install where folks could test their code. We also have the test servers https://openacs.org/wiki/Test%20Servers so folks who commit should check that their code works on these test servers if possible.