Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Reactivating ACS-Workflow 4.5 (Petri Nets)

Collapse
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the pointers. Just had a quick look at both projects. Both are announced as "developer components". I understand that non of them is integrated yet with OpenACS, is that right? (Atleast I didn't find any links to our beloved platform...) The SOAP interface of wftk sounds interesting though...

But let's put things into perspective. ACS-Workflow 4.5 is a mature and stable package, well integrated with the rest of OpenACS and proven in "industrial" environments. Quest.ie is running it in several _huge_ projects and we (at http://www.project-open.com/) have actually started to sell workflow configurations to our customers. Any new WF engine would have to compete with this.

ACS-Workflow's main disadvantage for our customers is that you can't (yet?) use Microsoft Visio to design the workflows and that scripting it is quite complicated. And these are the points that are going to become painful for us when the new MS workflow hits the street.

Any ideas on this end? Maybe we should look for open-source workflow design packages that could be integrated with either ACS-Workflow 4.5 or Workflow 5.x?

Bests,
Frank

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
I meant more like, "Heh, since OpenACS Workflow appears to be ahead of these other open-source workflow projects, maybe we can evangelize OpenACS Workflow to people involved or interested in them, and get more people contributing to OpenACS." :)

The SMC State Machine Compiler stuff might also be related.