Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS broken after FreeBSD port upgrade

After running portupgrade -rRa, my OpenACS installation is now broken:

OpenACS Installation: Error
Thank you for installing the Open Architecture Community System (OpenACS), a suite of fully-integrated enterprise-class solutions for collaborative commerce. This is the OpenACS Installer which performs all the steps necessary to get the OpenACS Community System running on your server.

Please read the Release Notes before proceeding to better understand what is contained in this release.

The following database pools generated errors:

* OpenACS could not allocate a handle from database pool "pool2".

Possible causes might include:

* The database is not running.
* The database driver has not been correctly installed.
* The datasource or database user/password are incorrect.
* You didn't define any database pools.

The first step involved in setting up your OpenACS installation is to configure your RDBMS, correctly install a database driver, and configure AOLserver to use it. You can download and install the latest version of the AOLserver Oracle and PostgreSQL drivers from the OpenACS.org Software Page.

Once you're sure everything is installed and configured correctly, restart AOLserver.

What should I be looking for to try to restore things? PostgreSQL is running, and I can connect to it as service0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fred

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
Fred, could it be, that Postgres was restarted during the upgrade process, but AOLserver was not? Do you still get this error after restarting AOLserver?
Collapse
Posted by Fred Cox on
That appears to have been the problem. I don't know why AOLserver would need restarting, though.

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
AOLserver does not reconnect to a database (or database pool, not sure which) once the connection has been broken, which is why you had this problem.

I think it should at least "try" to reconnect, but do not know how much work that would take to accomplish that.