Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Upgrading packages

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Reuven, yes, Ola is right in that CVS is the only mechanism OpenACS has to do what you want. And while it does require some extra work on your part (unlike say, the way rpms can be told to "leave modified files unchanged"), it actually gives you a complete solution, and for anybody who was able to customize the ADP and TCL pages in the first place, the extra CVS work should be no big deal.

I agree with Ola that in some fashion, you always want to import a copy of the OpenACS code onto a vendor branch in your local "my private OpenACS fork" CVS repository, and merge your customizations and resolve conflicts there. (You probably also want to be careful to always import a tagged version of OpenACS, e.g. oacs-4-5-rc-1, not just the untagged tip of the development trunk.) And you'll also want at least one separate checkout directly from the OpenACS CVS repository, so you can conveniently do cvs log and the like against the OpenACS repository, and otherwise check what's going on in the development sources.

FYI, it's been way too long since I last updated them with new stuff I've learned or found usefull, but my Version Control docs on www.piskorski.com go into many of the CVS issures mentioned above.