Forum OpenACS Q&A: What are categories?

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Dodwell on
Can someone point me to the documentation to tell me what categories are used for and how to set them up.

I can find the design stuff, but not the user documentation -

Cheers

Collapse
2: Re: What are categories? (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Mathew,

The easiest way to become familiar with categories is by mounting a blogger module.

Example

1. Once mounted go to Blogger admin.
2. Select "site wide categories" and start adding some that refer to the kind of topics you want to feature.
3. In 5.15 categories are used by blogger, logger, project manager. I assume in next releases more packages will benefit from categories.

Talking about reuse of functionality, form a user point of view it's one of the most powerfull services and a great timesaver.

I am currently using categories to create a functionality weblog for end users, where no longer modules are king, but all available features are explained.

Cheers

Collapse
3: Re: What are categories? (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Solution Grove has a couple examples of how we have used the category package. Categories are generally used to categorize some sort of object. The dotlrn-eccomerce package and the expense package both use categories.

We have user documentation on both, including how to change the category trees, as part of our Registration product (see Documentation):

http://www.solutiongrove.com/products/registration

Collapse
4: Re: What are categories? (response to 1)
Posted by Matthew Dodwell on
Many thanks