Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Tcl function call to remote AOLserver via xmlrpc ?

Here's another weird ns_xmlrpc error. I set up a little page to have my AOLserver hit itself with an xmlrpc call. My little test/rpc.tcl page was:

set url {http://localhost:8075/RPC2}
append body [xmlrpc_call $url ns_info name]
ns_return 200 text/plain $body

From the ns_logs and stack trace below, it's pretty clear that this combination can't possibly work right. AOLserver seems to be handling and returning the rpc call ok, but once the xml gets to the client, the 'ns_xml node name' is 'methodResponse', which immediately breaks stuff because xmlrpc_parse is only set up to handle 'params', not 'methodResponse'.

These errors make it seem like I need to actually learn to use ns_xml and heavily debug ns_xmlrpc. But, the mysterious part is, everybody else seems to be saying that this same code works fine for them. What could be wrong?

The error from my test/rpc.tcl page:

[03/Jul/2002:04:05:34][28484.8][-conn0-] Debug: xmlrpc_callResponse: response: '<?xml version="1.0"?>
<methodResponse><params><param><value>AOLserver</value></param></params></methodResponse>
'
[03/Jul/2002:04:05:34][28484.8][-conn0-] Debug: xmlrpc_parse: ns_xml node name: 'methodResponse'
[03/Jul/2002:04:05:34][28484.8][-conn0-] Error: XMLRPC-ERROR remote procedure call failed: "invalid server response ()"
XMLRPC-ERROR remote procedure call failed: "invalid server response ()"
    while executing
"xmlrpc_callResponse $response"
    (procedure "xmlrpc_call" line 33)
    invoked from within
"xmlrpc_call $url ns_info name"
    invoked from within
"append body [xmlrpc_call $url ns_info name]"
    (file "/web/aol3-src/nsbbapi/www/test/rpc.tcl" line 6)
    invoked from within
"source $file"
    invoked from within
"ns_sourceproc cns0 {}"