Forum OpenACS Development: Response to acs_atributes usage ?

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
ACS_Attributes

To revive this thread and to get some clear guidelines from the community.

I'm experimenting with creating acs-objects, but I'm not sure how to use attributes.

At the risk of oversimplifying I concluded the following:
  1. There is no need to declare attibutes for a new object, since there are no 'core object-methods' that use them.
  2. There is no need for an 'object-attribute model', like for example javascript does, since columns in a table serve the same goal.
  3. The acs_attribute table should be seen as a normal extension table to store:
  • a description of a collumn
  • columns that are created dynamically when you don't want the original table to change (at the cost of a lot of overhead information in the acs_attribute_values table)
  • columns that should be able to store more than one value (in combination with the acs_attribute_values table).
Is there a need for declaring attributes to inherit attributes/columns from supertype-objects?

Please any feedback on how to use attributes. If I'm wrong with the statements above, I would like to know whether all columns of an object_value table should be declared as an attribute. I would like to keep it simple.