Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to broken ns_returnnotfound and templated error return pages

Stan - I don't have an acs 3.x version installed but with the 4.x stuff the 404 is still being sent out by ns_returnnotfound (which internally calls Ns_ConnRedirect to restart handling at the rp_handler). It isn't clear to me why 3.x 404 return would not just work). The only difference between what 4.x does and ns_sourceproc does is that ns_sourceproc calls ns_returnnotfound with a $conn arg.

The fix I made was entirely a 4.x change and no I did not have to touch ns_sourceproc (although the request processer only calls ns_sourceproc if it knows the file exists and does it's own ns_returnnotfound if it does not).

Gilbert - I think it's more likely the bug you saw would be an AOLServer bug since once you get the recursion limit error very little oacs code gets run. It is concievable it is trace filter problem and you might try putting debug statements in any you have running. Also, I did probably 50 404 gets without seeing the server hang and I get lots of hits from code red etal and those do not seem to hang the server either.