Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to question on dotLrn status on port to postgres

Collapse
Posted by Dan Chak on

The dotLRN core datamodel has been ported to postgres. Now we can start porting other packages to postgres (at least the datamodels, for now).

To see it/play with it/work on it, check out OACS and dotLRN as described in http://dotlrn.openforce.net/doc/dotlrn-install.adp , but don't install the dotLRN packages with the APM. (If you already have a copy checked out, be sure to update acs-kernel, user-profile, and new-portal as well as all dotlrn* packages.)

Instead of installing with the APM, from a within the packages/dotlrn/sql/postgres directory, do:
psql your-db-name -f dotlrn-create.sql

Hopefully the datamodel will load with no errors. (If not, please let me know!).

So far, Samir and Mohan have volunteered to help with porting. Below is a tentative schedule of when things should get done. Unassigned tasks default to me, with the ones with asterisks (*) taking priority.

package assigned to expected completion
dotlrn chak done
dotlrn-portlet chak 2002-07-10
dotlrn-dotlrn chak 2002-07-10
dotlrn-portlet chak 2002-07-10 *
dotlrn-calendar *
calendar-portlet *
dotlrn-faq Samir Joshi 2002-07-14 *
faq-portlet Samir Joshi 2002-07-14 *
dotlrn-forums Mohan Pakkurti ? ? *
forums-portlet Mohan Pakkurti ? ? *
dotlrn-fs *
fs-portlet *
dotlrn-news Samir Joshi 2002-07-10 *
news-portlet Samir Joshi 2002-07-10 *
dotlrn-static
static-portlet
dotlrn-bm
bm-portlet
dotlrn-syllabus
dotlrn-research

For each applet, you will notice there are two packages: dotlrn-packagename, and packagename-portlet. Both need to be ported, and the dotlrn-* packages depend on the *-portlet packages.

If you notice something broken in the core, send me an email or post here. To Mohan and Samir (and anyone else who decides they want to port stuff), just send me tarballs of your sql/postgres directories as the datamodels start loading.

If anyone else wants to work on something, be sure to email me first so we don't up with two people working on the same thing.