at learntec 2003?

It is the largest fair and congress on E-Learning in Europe supported
by the German government and attended by an aweful lot of schools and
universities. So definitly a place for presenting dotLRN in a booth as
well as in speeches/talks.

For details look at http://www.learntec.de/ (and yes, the site
contains english information).

Collapse
2: Response to Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by David Kuczek on
Servus mohl Malte,

I would join an OpenACS booth and take care of the coordination of some top models performing a dancing show in front of our honorable booth 😊

Apropos booth and our marketing efforts: Why don't we buy a nice booth for openacs?

The booth could be property of "openacs" and be paid for by anybody that is capable and interested...

The booth should be easily to take-apart, shippable internationally for little cost (=lightweight). This way it could be used in SF, in Karlsruhe as well as in New York, Rio, Tokio 😉

Concerning organizational idendity: We should decide on organization colors and logo in the near future... This way we could produce some hundreds of T-Shirts with the Samoyed on it and internationally ship it around with the booth!

Collapse
3: Response to Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I learned from a company we want to cooperate with that there are booths for around $5000 which are small and can be shipped in a suitcase. They have a special screen that will be wrapped around the booth (and can be printed to your liking). This way we could use various screens but keep one booth 😊.

The more interesting question though is, how would you organize such a community booth payment....

Collapse
4: Response to Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I would join an OpenACS booth and take care of the coordination of some top models performing a dancing show in front of our honorable booth 😊
Buy Vinod a ticket and he'll put on a show!

A booth. I'm guessing this is a bit premature, at least for OpenACS at large. Not only is there the issue of paying for it, but paying for shipping to a show, organizing who will receive it, all that is probably more than we can muster at the moment. What if it gets stolen from the back of one's rental car? How do we handle that? Insurance. Who carries the insurance? We'll want it to pop up in various countries. Who fills out the declaration forms? Who stores it in between shows?

I'm such a wet blanket :(

On the bright side booths that fit into one to three large suitcase-type containers can be very nice. The kind I've used in two different organizations involve foam-core panels with metal reinforced edges and cloth covering. They come in sets of three hinged panels about a meter high. One set's suitable for a tabletop display. Four sets make you a real booth a couple of meters high and perhaps four meters wide with edges angled in.

Your material is on flat screened panels backed with Velcro.

They look surprisingly nice. The advantage of this type is that for an informal show you can just ship one panel set and a subset of your material and put it up on a table top, while for a big show you can ship the whole thing and put up the full booth. It's a very flexible design.

They're also very easy to put up and take down.

These are fairly expensive though, $12K or so for enough to build a full booth.

With any portable booth design it is important to see one "in the wild". I've seen some designs that look really tacky. Also it's important to find out how hard they are to put together/take down and weight is also important (shipping charges).

Collapse
5: Response to Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by David Kuczek on
Of course there are some formal issues, but it would be a benefit for common marketing activities! We would really have to come up with an agenda for the use of the booth (insurance, shipping, storing etc.) but that's manageable. Maybe not at the moment, but as soon as oacs comes out with a "marketable version"... (see other thread)

The central place for storage could be one the "old" oacs consultancies like furfly, openforce, museatech...

On the other hand, openacs is a global organization, therefore we could  check out prices globally! What about India/China/Taiwan etc. Could be a lot cheaper there!

Collapse
6: Response to Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Speaking of global organization, perhaps the booth would require it's own globalization/localization features --local language, colors that are culture friendly etc.

Perhaps someone can propose a design that can be localized and shared in each region (or some regions)?

Certainly we can start by sharing digital resources to allow cheap (free) transfer of some important aspects such as the logo and glossy brochures...

Collapse
7: Response to Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Count us in, too.
Collapse
8: Re: Learntec 2003 (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Okay, now we are getting to the final stages. We are going there for sure, Collaboraid expressed strong interest, no other organization wants to participate (as far as I know).

Now, let's get to the second stage of our question. Would anyone from the dotLRN crowd consider coming to Learntec and maybe hang around the booth for some time as well. Last but not least we can get special deals for tickets, just in case you only want to show up there. Exhibitor passes are at Euro 25.

If there is still another organization interested in joining it will be €270 (Euro) per squaremeter as well as additional 310 Euro for beeing allowed as co-exhibitors.