Forum OpenACS Q&A: CVS question - or "why won't it do that"?

I do:

cvs -d:pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot login# press enter for passwordcvs -d:pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-6 acs-core

as per the CVS notes. This produces an ./openacs-4 directory in the appropriate place which I rename to 'myservicename'.

I then want to download packages such as acs-events, xotcl-core, xowiki, etc.

When I do:

cd /web/myservicename/packages
cvs -d:pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-6 acs-events

...the package appears in the appropriate place - no problems.

...but when I do this with some packages such as xowiki for example, cvs reports that it is updating, goes through the xowiki file tree, but the files are never downloaded - anywhere. I have searched the machine and they don't appear.

For example:

[user@s01 packages]$ cd /web/myservicename/packages
[user@s01 packages]$ cvs -d:pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-6 oacs-dav
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/catalog
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/sql
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/sql/oracle
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/sql/oracle/upgrade
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/sql/postgresql
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/sql/postgresql/upgrade
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/tcl
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/tcl/test
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/www
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/www/admin
cvs checkout: Updating oacs-dav/www/doc
[user@s01 packages]$

But there is now no oacs-dav directory in /web/myservicename/packages/

I guess this is to do with tagging but I don't understand it and would really appreciate an explanation.

I can work around it by checking out HEAD versions of the applications that won't checkout this way, but I'd prefer to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Victor Guerra on
Richard,

In those cases on which you get empty directories is because the files for those packages were never branched into the oacs-5-6 branch. So CVS replicates the directory structure but doesnt download any files. So far you will find only core packages under the oacs-5-6 branch.

So you are not doing anything wrong is just that there are not files for those packages under that branch. So you can use the HEAD version for those missing in the oacs-5-6 branch.

Best,
-vg

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Oh great, that is much clearer now. Thank you for the quick reply Victor.

I guess branching packages is the responsibility of each of the package maintainers, and if they haven't actually tested the code with the new core, it is not logical to branch.

Regards
Richard