Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to How long can the OpenACS community get away with being an island?

I think Stephen and Malte puts this very well and I totally agree that we should come up with the basic material first (demo site, case studies, a few general documents), and only when our material cannot fit onto our current site should we contemplate setting up other sites. Let's start by properly maintaining the site that we have. The .org and .com split is by means conventional. What is conventional for a project like this though is to be hosted on sourceforge. Look at jboss.org for example. They are top 5 at Sourceforge with 200,000+ downloads per month but they also have a homepage with some docs and presentation of the team etc. I am sure that OpenACS would get more exposure if we were also hosted at Sourceforge.

Stephen, in the best of worlds, or no, rather in a quite dull world, consensus would be possible, but in this life - we will never have one. We still need to decine on a roadmap though with action items and deadlines. However, I think a lot of us have our own agenda and we cannot really afford to wait for the overall roadmap to emerge before we contribute.