Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Photo-Album Includelet for Xowiki

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Gustaf,

I have now had a chance to play with the {{yui-carousel}} and I can see what a lovely, clean and elegant solution this makes for simple slideshows.

I originally thought that the carousel picked up images that were children of the xowiki::page but I now see that it makes a slideshow of all images in the xowiki instance. I can see therefore that if you want multiple galleries, you would simply create an xowiki instance for each gallery to organise your images.

I have never tried, so I don't know, but I assume that a single ACS Category tree can be mapped to more than one xowiki instance so that any navigation system could be preserved between instances?

Nevertheless, I the functionality I'd like more closely resembles the YUI demo with the AJAX updated strip of thumbnails with larger image below.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/carousel/csl_dynload2.html

I think I will work on integrating this with OpenACS photo-album package so that the thumbnail and intermediate image sized image pages are effectively combined through AJAX. I think that the viewer you have put in the yui-carousel will make a lovely solution for the photo-album full-sized slideshow, perhaps with deferred image loading to smooth things along, so I will add that as well.

What I'd love to do after that is to work on a way of enabling this to be included in an xowiki page using an includelet.

If I code so that the navigation is handled through AJAX calls after the page is loaded, then the navigation issue would be eased. I would however probably need to be able to pass a value through to my includelet that had been passed url-encoded to the xowiki page. Can this be done?

In the case of ADP (notionally using @notation@):

{{adp photo-album {album @album_id@} }}

In the case of xowiki includelet:

{{photo-album -album @album_id@ -mode @mode@ }}

Links created by the includelet could be of the form:

/xowikiinstance/xowikipage?album_id=7364&photo_id=6253

Is this feasible or totally nuts!? 😊

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
NOTE:
THe current content repository image type has built in thumbnail and other size handlers similar (but simpler) than photo album.

This works for any image that is stored in the CR with image or image subtype content type.

If you address the image with the image.vuh handler ie: mysite.com/image/${image_id}/${size_name} and the size_name is configured (there is a procedure for this) it will generate the size and link it to the original image on the fly.

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Thank very much. What is that used for currently?

From what I can see, the {{yui-carousel}} includelet passes the full-sized image and the Javascript arranges the resize in the browser. I guess I would have to do the same if I create a new album view page that includes the YUI2 carousel?

Do you think the photo-album application should be updated to use this CR functionality rather than its own?

I cannot find a YUI3 carousel. Do you know if there is one?

Regards
Richard