Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: compiling OMSI PASCAL programs in DEC RT57XM monitor

Daniël, it sounds like Roger only has the source to some of the system - probably an application program, perhaps one that he wrote himself. Presumably he doesn't have the source to any of the lower level bits that actually control the hardware directly.

I have only a vague understanding of what a "laser trimming system" is, but it looks big and expensive.

As for why Roger is asking here, well if I Google for OMSI Pascal, right now the 4th hit is this Don's PDP-11 Pascal compiler post! (Funny, I guess there's not a lot of info on late 1970's compilers on the web...) So he's here because of you, Don!

I am laughing out loud a second time. Thanks for shedding some light on this odd thread Andrew. I like the flavor of Google juice that we think led you here Roger.

Don being able to respond to this left fielder actually motivated me to walk down the hall (with a grin) and take a look at the PDPs we have in the hospital on display. One of the reason we have them around is because of this: Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multi-Programming System (MUMPS). According to the article "the original MUMPS system was built on a spare DEC PDP-7".

Sounds like laser trimming machines have something to do with semiconductor manufacturing. Old computers making newer ones? Computers (and Don) bootsrapping themselves out of the swamp of history? Singularity must be upon us, but we still have 807 open OpenACS bugs! What are we doing wrong? /me laughs some more with images of Karl Friedrich Hieronymus Freiherr von (a.k.a. Baron) Münchhausen pulling himself up by his own hair.