Forum OpenACS Development: Re: How to do sessions

Collapse
4: Re: How to do sessions (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Sal,

There's a few different ways to extend registration.

One low tech way is used by ecommerce, where registration is followed by a redirect to checkout.

There's also a way where you can create a user using the API directly.

I'm sure Dave will explain how to approach extending the registration page directly --I haven't done that, so can't help there.

ad_form is used for building dynamic forms. If you're like me and find that too abstract, having too many limitations, or requiring a high learning curve to be of value, then there's an alternate method which will soon be available that uses a tcl styled API to build forms. The learning curve for this new way is low, because it depends on knowing html forms and tcl, not much else. I am debugging/alpha testing it now and will post when it reaches beta.

cheers,

Torben

Collapse
5: Re: How to do sessions (response to 4)
Posted by sal berg on
Hi Torben,

I did make a form already using ad_form. Actually, I didn't find it *too* bad - documentation and a walk-through were readily available. Some things that weren't documented took some time to figure, but at least they were "reasonably figure-able." Still, better is always, well, better, so I look forward to seeing your new forms!

Hope Dave or somebody can help me out with the other stuff.

Regards.

Collapse
6: Re: How to do sessions (response to 5)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
The advantages to ad_form are consistent form behavior throughout an application, inline error reporting etc. There may be some newer technology we could use to rewrite this, but so far it has worked.

The question is if your acs-kernel is 5.6.0. You can check this by visiting the URL /acs-admin/apm/ under your installation and checking the version number for the acs-kernel package.

If this is the case, I am working on a tutorial for customizing a subsite that would be perfect to help you. If you are using a version older than 5.6.0 the techniques are different.

Collapse
7: Re: How to do sessions (response to 6)
Posted by sal berg on
It's 5.6.0.
Collapse
8: Re: How to do sessions (response to 7)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
In this case you want to create a new package that is a subtype of the acs-subsite package. Then you can place all of your customizations into your new package.

I am working on the tutorial for this, I'll see if I have something that will help you.