Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Postgres9, OpenACS and load balancing

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Hi Jose,

I'v been trying to find a good set of PostgreSQL tools to provide load balancing for a while, and already used Warm Standby and Slony-I. Both have problems, and the best choice depends on how your system is configured. In a general way, you can see the following issues:

- Warm Standby is good for crash recovery, but you can't use the other DB's even for RO operations, so there's no load balancing possibility. The main advantage is that it's easy to configure and there's almost no maintenance effort.

- Slony-I has the advantage that the slave DB's can be used to RO operations, but it's extremely difficult to configure (you have to write a script for every sinlge table replication) and even more hard to keep working (maintenance work is just really big). Use it only if you don't use too many OpenACS packages and now Slony-I very well.

I'm still looking forward to test PostgreSQL 9.0 Hot Standby ( http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/hot-standby.html ), wich is basically the same as Warm Standby with the possibility to use the slave node for RO operations. I guess it'll be the best choice for OpenACS installs, but I'm not currently using it and didn't test it yet.

Best regards