From above (I guess it got lost in the wall of text):
Nothing in the error logs except the same error I get when I try to access the page that tests the proc - "name of proc" isn't a procedure. Seems as if the proc is not being defined. If I define it the "normal" way (where I can't hardcode info in the proc) it gets defined. If I do it the other way, it apparently doesn't.
To repeat, when I say it is "not working," when I call the web page which uses the proc, I get a "'name of proc' isn't a procedure" error (it doesn't literally say 'name of proc', it uses the actual name of the proc I am trying to define).
Also, to repeat, this is not with a package I am defining, nor an existing package. I am simply using the www directory for my web pages, and I am putting my custom procs in a "blah-procs" file in the tcl folder.
Repeating again, I got the util_memoize to work, but only if I put the proc in a certain location in the "blah-procs" file. If I put it in a different location, I get the same error.
If you guys don't experience any of these problems, and don't believe a bug exists, I'll chalk it up to the installation.