Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: How do you manage first data upload?

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Anders,

If you don't have an IMS standard export available we usually call it a "Migration". We have lots of collective experience doing migrations. Jade has collected a bunch of resources here:

http://rubick.com:8002/openacs/acs_to_openacs.

There are a couple approaches. Solution Grove did a migration from an Access database dump of a Banner system. In that case the old system had already been taken down so we exported everything to a set of CSV's and wrote scripts to uploaded them.

The other approach, which is used when we go from an very old ACS version (3x) to the newer ones is connecting AOLServer to both the old and the new databases. For Museum of Science We connected AOLServer to get data directly from thier SQLServer membership database so the duel connection approach is definitely an option for you.

Take a read through those links and then feel free to ask some more questions.

Collapse
Posted by Anders Iwers on
Thank you very much, Caroline!!

It seems to me that this is exactly the info I'm looking for :D

Collapse
Posted by Haynes Horne on
Is there any reason not to bring records (of whatever type)directly into the postgres instance through psql, assuming the expected data structures matched? Why would you want to link two aolservers to distinct data sources? Do you need to capture something into the record only the UI generates?
[quote]
Is there any reason not to bring records (of whatever type)directly into the postgres instance through psql, assuming the expected data structures matched?
[/quote]

well, that's exactly what we want to do (populate our dotLRN database with the data of our SQLServer), but the database description of dorLRN is completely overwhelming for me. Just wondering if there are some standard scripts to do that :)