Forum OpenACS Q&A: Package Testing.

Collapse
Posted by Robert Taylor on
Now that XoWiki is fairly useable, I'm looking at starting the testing of OACS packages.

1. I have a preliminary package testing spec up on www.openacs.org/xowiki, in the PACKAGES/Package Testing Process document. Please take a look and comment - just some ideas based on conversations on IRC. Is it right, is it wrong, are there better ways to do this?

2. I am volunteering to start testing, Iuri has mentioned he would like to help ... anyone else want to join in?

3. Please keep in mind that that each package has its own document in the packages section, and there will be some automation comming to each page. Each page will have both Package Info and Package Bugs pulled in automatically, we will be adding our own manual testing notes underneath that.

Collapse
2: Re: Package Testing. (response to 1)
Posted by Hamilton Chua on
Hi Robert,

I read your XOWiki page and saw your entry about selenium recorder.

Please have a look on my post here
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=365992

I would be happy to volunteer to create selenium tests for acceptance/feature testing.

Hamilton

Collapse
3: Re: Package Testing. (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hamilton has created some tests for Solution Grove clients. We can start by contributing these back and being sure they are client independent run on a unmodified installation.
Collapse
4: Re: Package Testing. (response to 2)
Cool!

I just found about the extension today from Dave via IRC conversation actually ... your suggestions sound great!

So if we are thinking about FEATURE testing for example, which for the most part is little more than user interface testing of a particular package, I would imagine that what we would then end up with is the following workflow:

FEATURE TESTING:

1. Adopt a package or group of packages for testing.
2. Develop selenium test scripts.
3. Post test scripts links on the package pages (I believe the wiki has the ability to link to uploaded files, I will talk to Dave about this).
4. Use scripts as repeatable test cases on each bug fix iteration.

Would that be how you see this working?

Collapse
5: Package Testing. (response to 2)
Almost forgot ...

... added you to the volunteers paragraph.

Your now doomed forever!!!

... Hehe!

Thanks for volunteering. The first batch of testing will be just to get a quick pass/fail on automated testing of packages, then giving the testing process idea a quick run through to see how it goes.

Once we have a bit of experience doing that we can start working on this with a bit more focus.

Collapse
6: Re: Package Testing. (response to 5)
Caroline, thanks!

That sounds great!