Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Re: Re: Re: MIT' Open Courseware running on dotlrn + LORS

Hi Ernie.

I uploaded several courses on one of the OpenACS test servers this Monday but all of them were removed !!

How would you transform the OCW content into learning activities that can be used by a learning design player?

Good question !!

I think this is the most (or one of the most) difficult part of my project and I will figure out which is the best approach to it.

Thanks.

Sergio.

Hi Sergio.

Thanks for your answer.

One suggestion perhaps is to use SCORM 1.2/2004 instead.

SCORM will allow you to use sequencing of content which is what you have at hand with the OCW courses.

Although IMS LD also deals with content. However it's main purposes is to outline/describe learning processes thru activities instead (over-simplifying, of course). So unless you have designed the courses or are have a really good knowledge of the each subject, trying to design a flow of cohesive activities based around just content, it won't fly.

A similar analogy would be trying to teach 100 students on a subject that all you have is the bibliography but don't no anything about the subject 😊. True, you can send them to read the books, but would you call that a good learning design? 😊

Additionally, creating IMS LD packages does not take you very far as these packages won't be able to be used outside your custom implementation of LORS. Unfortunately IMS LD hasn't quite worked out interoperability across systems yet. That is, an IMS LD package created in Reload (for instance) might not work in other systems (at all).

On the other hand SCORM packages can be imported and used in tons of other systems which will make your work much more relevant, not only for .LRN but for many others as well.

Hope that helps,

Ernie