Forum OpenACS Q&A: Howto install packages

Collapse
Posted by Peter Alberer on
Hi,

i have not been working with oacs for some time now and wanted to play with the latest version. When downloading the package from the homepage (https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/download/download/openacs-5.7.0.tgz?revision_id=3646409), it turns out that this does not include any packages (besides core). Installing packages from repository (via myserver/acs-admin/install) is broken.

I then tried to checkout from cvs and saw that both 5-6 and 5-7 branches do not include any packages. Branch 5-5 includes several packages. Why do 5-6 and 5-7 not include feature packages like forums, chat, etc?

So my main question is now: What is the correct way to get the complete packages that are certified/tested to work with 5-7 (from CVS or file store)?

Thanks, peter

Collapse
2: Re: Howto install packages (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Hi,

Unfortunately, the packages have not been formally tested and released for openacs 5.7 or openacs 5.6. Noone has been able to volunteer the time to test and tag them for release.

Some packages may have been released with a previous version of dotlrn.

That said, most of the packages on CVS HEAD will work on 5.6 or 5.7, you could also take the packages from the openacs-5-5-compat branch, as they should be forward compatible to the newer openacs.

I usually just get the packages from HEAD.

Collapse
3: Re: Howto install packages (response to 1)
Posted by Majed san on
Hi,

can someone help me to know how can i have an administarator account in openAcs to install packages.

Thank you

Collapse
4: Re: Howto install packages (response to 3)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Majed san,

During the initial OpenACS installation, the first created user is automatically assigned administrator permissions. The first user can assign admin permissions to any other user via the user admin page from /acs-admin/users

cheers,

Collapse
5: Re: Howto install packages (response to 1)
Posted by Majed san on
Torben Brosten

thank you for your reply. the problem taht during the instalation i don't register any user but after i found an administrator account and i don't know the password.