Forum OpenACS Q&A: Website Layout

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
I'm facing a problem on the static pages of my website.
I have a left menu and i need to change the content of the menu according with the user browses on diferent pages on the website.

I'm using the package edit-this-page. I wondered if i create diferent a slave page for each url, on the dotlrn-master-kelp.tcl. (i.e. put on the tcl file to choose the slave part.) But the problem is that dotlrn-master-kelp calls more pages than just the "/edit-this-page/index"
So i need to find out what page is the one that calls only the edit-this-page/index

Does anyone have any idea how to figure out that? Or another way to resolve the problem

For example if the user goes to http://www.myybiz.net:8090/
he will see the left menu.

and if he goes to http://www.myybiz.net:8090/yabt/nationalcenters

he will see the menu with a diferent content.

Collapse
2: Re: Website Layout (response to 1)
Posted by Pavel Boghita on
this may not be the best approach, but this is the way I have done this in the past: by using subsites.
Then you can use different customised master.adp for each subsite.
Is it this what you meant ?
Collapse
3: Re: Re: Website Layout (response to 2)
well,
I'm not concerned att all about the concept of a subsite. can u explain me better?? What's actually the concept to create a subsite.
The thing is these pages has to be under a main subsite, which is already created. and i believe subsite is something bigger, isn't it?
Collapse
Posted by Pavel Boghita on
Subsite for a site is what subfolder is for a folder.
on yoursite/admin there is an option under main site administration to create a subsite. Under the paramaters of that particular subsite you can specifiy what master.adp to use... hence different master.adp for different subsites.
Collapse
I see... thanks man.
I didn't realise that, because right now my oacs is full packed with a lot of packages such as edit-this-page, dotlrn, communities, and i have at least 4 places that i almost do the same, they are: create departments, create communities, create aplications, create subjects, create terms.

So, i'm lost on the huge structure that is there.
But anyway, i've just installed an empty oacs box on my own laptop and i'm understanding step by step what is and what does each package, service, and aplication.