Forum .LRN Q&A: mail issue

Collapse
Posted by anjali n on
Hi,
I've just installed dotLRN on my system.After registering a new user it says Registration information for this service has just been sent to mailto:userid@domain.in. Please read and follow the instructions in this email.But the mail is not getting sent.Do i have to enable anything for sending and receiving mails?
Thank You
Collapse
2: Re: mail issue (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
The behaviour I noticed is that dotLRN is looking for mail services (smtp) on port 25 of the localhost.

Try:
netstat -l | grep -i smtp

or:
netstat -nl | grep 25

This will tell you if you have an smtp server running locally

-al

Collapse
3: Re: Re: mail issue (response to 2)
Posted by anjali n on
Hi,
I've tried running these commands before
it shows

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

I'm able to send the mails clicking on their e-mail id but the initial mail after creating the user as admin is not getting sent when i click the send button.

Collapse
4: Re: mail issue (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
Hello Anjali,

have you configured Mail Services Lite? I am just a newbie at this but I believe that is the service that handles mail.

You can configure it by going to the acs-admin page. If your server is bound to the localhost, it is here:
http://localhost/acs-admin/

Find:
Mail Services Lite

...and click on:
Parameters

It is on the far right.

I believe the setting you are looking for is:
SendmailBin

Hope that helps!

-al

Collapse
5: Re: Re: mail issue (response to 4)
Posted by anjali n on
hi,
I tried changing the SendMailBin parameter to SMTP.Still the mail is not getting sent.Do i have to change the mailhost parameter in config.tcl file?By default it is localhost.
Do reply
Collapse
6: Re: mail issue (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
Hello Anjali,

Honestly, I do not know. I do not know if acs-mail-lite passes mail to the aolserver, or if it sends mail directly. I would definately configure your config.tcl file. Some app or service uses it...

You probably already know this but one thing to try would be tailing your mail.log files. When I am troubleshooting something, I add a line in my syslog.conf:

#all.log
*.* /var/log/all.log

and then tail that. I plan to work on mail for my server later
today or tomorrow...