Forum .LRN Q&A: ANN: Single Sign-on Solution Moodle – OACS

Solution Grove has just completed work for a client that allows Moodle users to access their dotFOLIO without having to sign on twice.

The Use Case:

CT Career Choices in partnership with IBM provides an enrichment curriculum for urban and suburban students in Connecticut. The class is supported by a Moodle system. This winter they added a dotFOLIO system that supports students creating online resumes and an e-portfolio.

When the system was launched students had to sign in separately to each system. This week we created a simple solution for single sign on.

Technical details are here: http://www.solutiongrove.com/products/Moodle%20Integration

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
This is really cool. Will you also implement that on logout?

Do you know the CAS Projekt [1]?

Greetings,
Nima

[1] - http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/CAS/Home

Collapse
3: Re: (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Excellent!

This is something really need in live systems. SG approach is something that we though about as well, good that you achieve that.

CAS architecture seems more cleaner, I'll have a deeper look at it, is somebody working on SSO with stuff like CAS?

Collapse
4: Re: CAS and OpenACS SSO (response to 3)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
If someone has worked on CAS server support for OpenACS, would you mind sharing this, otherwise I will have to do it in the next couple of weeks.
Collapse
5: Re: CAS and OpenACS SSO (response to 4)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
yes, if someone has done, please mention. If not, will be great to have it Malte, I offer help on design implementation and testing.
Collapse
6: Re: CAS, SSO and LDAP (response to 3)
I assume that project open has an implementation for LDAP SSO (judging from their website). Maybe we can reuse their design if it is not too different from the CAS implementation. Frank, any comments and could we use it?
Collapse
7: Re: CAS and OpenACS SSO (response to 4)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Malte, did you actually end up looking into using CAS or something similar? I am looking for something that makes OpenACS login truly seamless for people logged into machines on the local AD domain and found a CAS plugin that would allow pretty flexible integration that ties into NTLM. I am wondering what you ended up doing.
Collapse
8: Re: CAS and OpenACS SSO (response to 7)
We (namely Nima) have written auth-cas, it is currently being tested with one installation (where it seems to work) and we plan to setup a CAS server for cognovis.de which will have the user accounts for all employees of cognovis, so we have a single signon on all customer sites (for us).

If you are in dire need of this package, we can send it "as is" to you, and you can just get rid of certain customizations with which we toyed around in our process so far under the condition you release it once working. Alternatively you can just wait until the have our setup running at cognovis (probably within a months).

Collapse
Posted by Jose Agustin Lopez Bueno on
Hi!

Which are the differences between one LDAP and CAS
authentication?

Regards,
Agustin

Collapse
LDAP and CAS are central but LDAP is backend authentication and CAS is frontend/webbased. Also LDAP is not browser session-wide and therefore not a single-sign-on. With CAS you can login once and access all applications that are known as services to CAS. You could implement something similar with LDAP but that is pointless. We use CAS on top of LDAP. CAS is SSO!
Collapse
11: Re: CAS and OpenACS SSO (response to 8)
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Hi Malte,

Can you please send me the auth-cas code? I'm working in a very large SSO solution, and I'll need to do something like this as soon as possible. So, if you can help me with the work you already did, I'll be very thankfull.

Collapse
Sorry. I forgot to commit the code. I will do that tomorrow and write a short notice.
Collapse
Was not able to commit to cvs. Can someone kindly commit that package. Here is the apm link: https://dotlrn.uni-mannheim.de/auth-cas-1.0.apm
Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Thank you very much for the code. It's being very usefull.