Forum .LRN Q&A: How to create IMS/SCORM Content Package Course

hi,

I installed E-Lane and started working on LORS Management.When I tried to add a course its displaying the following message.

We had a problem with your input:

There is no imsmanifest.xml with description and structure of the course

I am not having any idea about XML. Please tell me how to create IMS/SCORM content package course.

Thanks,
Lakshmi.

Collapse
Posted by Christian Fuchs on
Hi,
Ernie I have the same error message and I think I followed the instructions in your tutorial.

We have following apps:
Installed Packages

Type [ Application | Service ]
Package Version
Bulk Mail 0.5.1d7
Calendar 2.1.0b4
Content Management System 5.1d
Curriculum 1.5
Curriculum Central 0.4.1d
Curriculum Tracker 0.1d
dotFOLIO 0.3
dotFOLIO UI 0.3
dotLRN 2.2.0a1
dotLRN Admin 2.2.0a1
dotLRN Homework 2.2.0a1
Edit This Page 1.8
Evaluation 0.2d
FAQ 5.2.0d4
File Storage 5.2.2
Forums 1.2.0d2
General Comments 4.6.2
Lars Blogger 2.2.0
Logger 1.1b4
LORS Management 0.7d
News 5.2.0d5
News Aggregator 0.9d
Notifications 5.2.0
Organization 0.5d4
Photo Album 5.2.3
Project Manager 3.1d23
Room Reservation 0.4d1
Search 5.2.2
Survey 5.0.1
User Profile 2.1.2
User Tracking 0.1d3

Collapse
Posted by vivian Aguilar on
Maybe this link can help you to create a content package
http://openacs.com/doc/current/lorsm/creating_package.html

Here is another one but it is in spanish:
http://pizarra.uv.es/global/HELP/lors/lors.html

Hope this helps

Vivian

I think I did this exactly like stated in the document.
Collapse
Posted by Christian Fuchs on
I can not import this example http://www.reload.ac.uk/ex/testpkg.zip

Should this work smootly or do I have to change something?

Please help.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Please post the version of the LORS package that you have installed.
Collapse
Posted by Sergio FRESCHI on
Hello Lakshmi.

You can download some IMS-CP compliant courses from this URL:

http://weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/sergio/

I have tested them on different LORS (WebCT, .LRN, Reload) and they worked fine.

Please, let me know if you have problems with them.

Sergio.

Thanks, tried course3.zip. Same error!

Versions:
lors 0.6d4
lorsm 0.7d
lors-portlet 0.4d

dotlrn 2.2.0a1 (because we need dotfolio, too and I requires acs-kernel 5.2.2)

That is weird i have the same version installed and no problem.
The only difference is that i have dotlrn2.2.0a3.
Try with the course that comes with reload editor just for test.
cheers
Vivian
Hello.

Excuse me, but I have just uploaded all three courses onto OpenACS test server

http://strauss.gast.it.uc3m.es:8021/dotlrn/clubs/test/lorsm/

and worked ok.

Good luck.

Sergio.

Hi Christian,

You might want to check whether the file is being expanding correctly after being uploaded.

LORS uses AOLserver's ns_mktemp function to create a temporary directory in which expands the zip file. Can you check whether theis temporary directory exists? (usually /tmp)

In addition, is the unzip command on the PATH environment variable of the user you are using to run your instance of .LRN?

Ernie

Hi All!!

I have the same problem now. the same error message.
I installed all Lors packages.
I installed UnZip-5.50 and I set the PATH with the command Unzip.

I need adittional Software?
how that error was solucionated?

Please Help me.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse
Posted by john zhang on
As we can see, there are not just one problems for the new comers of the community to work easily with dotlrn, I would suggest that if we the new users of dotlrn could come together to do the following:

1) On the Wiki area, we can set up a question and answer list so that easily solved problems can be highlighted and resolved. For example, as a FreeBSD user, I spent a lot hours figuring out how to install dotlrn/ACS using ports. Now, my notes would save hours for other dotlrn new users but would be rubbish for the experts.

2) For some commonly-seen problems for the new users, we can come up with some small funds (from individual users) to hire experts to come up with recipes of solving these problems. Many small funds together can be decent amount of $ to hire experts. These recipes should be put in the section of the new users so that the increasing new users can easily find them, and experts won't be bothered with the unfresh ideas.

The vitality of a healthy community depends on both experienced experts and new users: the formers lay solid foundations while the later let the community grow. I really believe this software is the greatest among those I've seen both in CMS area in general and in VLE in particular. Yet, to be really good at it needs a lot of time and belief.

As a new user, I wholeheartedly thank all those who have done, and have beening, wonderful job both in pioneer mood and in strengthening moode. I especially thank those who have helped me many times.

On the other hand, we new users should also think of a way to contribute to our community in one way or the other: either on the technical level, organization level, or financial level.

Just some general thoughts and sorry not directly related to your questions.

thanks.

John

One reason for that problem can be that the size of the SCORM package is bigger than the size the AOLServer can manage by default. If I'm not wrong, the default for AOLServer 4.0 is 1 MB.

To set it to a bigger amount (e.g. 64MB), you can add/modify the following parameter in the config.tcl file of AOLServer.
ns_param maxinput [expr 64 * 1024 * 1024]

Hope this helps,

Olga

thanks! do you know why the permission has a problem? I installed it. when i try to use it, it says I'm not allowed. so i cheched the permission area. I have all the permission there!
Hi Olga.

I modify the config.tcl and I tried with many SCORM-files.zip (whit several sizes) ... but same error message.

Some Idea?

Thanks very much.