Forum OpenACS Q&A: Xinha Doesn't Load in IE9

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Well, yes I know, why would I want Xinha to load in IE9 I hear you ask. Well, because I think stuff should really just work regardless of browser choice.

This is just a post to say that the despite having Xinha 0.96 in my OpenACS 5.7.0 'acs-templating' resources directory, Xinha still would not load in IE9.

I therefore manually applied the patch shown here, and it fixed the problem.

Hopefully this will be added to Xinha at some point, but for now this is a means of fixing the dysfunction in OpenACS for anyone that wants to.

http://trac.xinha.org/ticket/1581

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
The development on Xinha has more or less stalled, that's a pitty. Can you try the nightly built from xinha? it seems to have a few fixes and should contain the mentioned fix. If it works for you, i can update in cvs as well.

One good alternative is CKEditor, which can be used in xowiki::Forms like the following

form {<form>@foo@</form>}
   text {@foo@}
   form_constraints {
     foo:richtext,editor=ckeditor,inplace=false,toolbar=Page,extraPlugins=xowikiimage
     _description:omit _page_order:omit
   } 
One can try there e.g. the inplace function,etc.
Collapse
Gustaf,

Thank you. I have an earlier email from you where you very kindly detailed how to install ckeditor. I see that this also works with IOS so this is a good option from that point of view. It is also a nice, uncluttered interface with defaults appropriate to my needs.

I also see that v3.3.9.3 of TinyMCE (20th Dec 2010) is sitting in acs-templating. The current version of TinyMCE also works with IOS. Has this ever been tried in Xowiki?

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Sorry if I'm being thick.....

I have downloaded the source code for ckeditor and untarred it into /packages/xowiki/www/resources/ckeditor

I have then added the following to my xowki.Form formspec:

{my_testfield:optional,richtext,width=80%,editor=ckeditor,label=Gobbledegook,inplace=false,toolbar=Page,extraPlugins=xowikiimage _description:omit _page_order:omit}

....but sadly, a huge nothing ocurred!

Did I miss a step?

Regards
Richard

Collapse
These paths don't look right to me:

$(document).ready(function() {
        $( '#F1325af_descent_planning' ).ckeditor(function() { /* callback code */ }, {

toolbar : 'Page',
    uiColor: '',
    language: 'en',
    skin: 'kama',
    startupMode: 'wysiwyg',
    parent_id: '1326',
    package_url: '/wikirim/',
    extraPlugins: 'xowikiimage,_description:omit,_page_order:omit',
    contentsCss: '/resources/xowiki/ck_contents.css',
    imageSelectorDialog: '/xowiki/ckeditor-images/',
    ready_callback: 'xowiki_image_callback(e.editor);',
    customConfig: '../ck_config.js'

});
            CKEDITOR.instances['F1325af_descent_planning'].on('instanceReady',function(e) {xowiki_image_callback(e.editor);});
      });
Collapse
why didn't you use the version committed to cvs? on all editors it happens, that newer version need different paths etc. when time permits, i will look into the new version.
Collapse
I have not "tried" TinyMCE in xowiki. Trying alone won't help, since every editor has to be properly integrated (i.e. causing .css and js to be loaded, interfacing of the sizing parameters, etc.). You have in the source several examples (xinha with and without inplace editing, CKEditor with and without inplace editing, and wymeditor).
Collapse
Gustaf,

My apologies. I did not realise that there was a version in CVS. I was following some email instructions from earlier in the year and I thought I had to download from the ckeditor website.

I will delete that and grab the version in cvs.

If I get a chance, I will study the examples you have already integrated and see if I can work out how to adapt the integration for the new version.

Regards
Richard

Collapse
I have tried to look at http://cvs.openacs.org/ in order to work out where and how to co ckeditor but I get a 'Bad Gateway' error for all requests associated with openacs cvs.

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Bernard Laito on
Thanks for your help with IE9
Collapse
Dear all, just now i have added 2 fixes to acs-templating:

- fixed an annoying problem on Mac OS X about "cvs update: move away foo.bar; it is in the way’", even on fresh check outs. The problem was that the repository contained several files with the same uppercase and lowercase names (most likely from previous versions of Xinha). CVS Removing these files from Linux helped.

- updated xinha to the current version of Xinha from the nightly checkouts.

This won't fix the problem with the file selector on IE9, for this i would need an appropriate testing environment. For the time being, please use the compatibility mode http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-to-use-Compatibility-View-in-Internet-Explorer-9

Concerning IOS support: given the low degree of development action, i would be surprised, if IOS support would be added to Xinha

Best regards
-gustaf neumann

Collapse
Gustaf,

On the IOS issue, I can confirm that CKEditor version 3.6.2 works just fine in IOS. This provides a suitable alternative to Xinha for anyone using Xowiki.

As far as a test environment for Xinha is concerned, I will happily provide you will access to the OpenACS 5.7.0 that I have been using to play with Xinha and CKEditor. I have in fact already put the bug-fix in place and tested it, so you could perhaps look at it and decide if this is satisfactory.

Regards
Richard