Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS 5.5.0 install Debian 6 64bits - When trying to install OpenACS I get "Not Found"

Welcome, congratulations.

So there are things to notice here,

first, all the web content is somewhere in (for you) /var/lib/aolserver/$server (in your case $server is pabloacs)

having said that part, you could really put it anywhere, I like /web, so for me my content is generally in /web/$server.

Then, there are the aolserver binaries and the tcl install and the little pieces (like sha1, xotcl if you need that, tdom)

Finally there is where the database is, if you were to build it in the default place, that would be /usr/local/pgsql.

The older places and users, /web/$server and nsadmin, so nsadmin would own everythihg in /web/$server and also /web/$server2. etc.

Another alternative you can try:

let's use "pabloacs" as an example

first, create a user called pabloacs

have postgresql add a role called pabloacs, and to avoid some extra work, make that role a superuser. Test this by logging in as pabloacs and run psql template1; if you get in without error, the role works fine, test done and you can \q from psql.

I know I said I like /web, but let's use the place you're using...

as root, you would make a dir /var/lib/aolserver/pabloacs and chown pabloacs:pabloacs /var/lib/aolserver/pabloac

from this point forward (with one small exception if you use daemontools), you can now do everything as pabloacs and you can add more services in their own users similar to the above.

after this, you would create the database, put the openacs files in their place, adjust the config file and try starting the service, and if the port is above 1024,, you need not start it as root.

What you have as a result, is an openacs owned by a particular user, and one that user controls.

-Jim, who wonders if you have questions.