Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Help with openacs installing

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hector and the group,

openacs-5.7 doesn't like pg-9, it does like pg-8.3 and maybe also 8.4.

openacs-HEAD (which some are calling 5.8) does like pg-9.2. It's not released yet, and so far I can find no information on who's working on it, when it will be released or what its status is.

For your (and other's) convenience, I adjusted the build system of nspostgres so that you can supply the location of pg_config, and have the build use pg_config to find things, which I recommend. I was working with Dossy when I added this feature to the makefile. I carefully documented the build options in the makefile; please read for more info.

One place you can find pg_config is in the debian package postgresql-server-dev-x.y (where x.y is the postgres version), and then you will find pg_config in /usr/lib/postgresql/x.y/bin/pg_config.

I tend to recommend building the whole stack as you have and keep much more control: upgrading debian packages then have no chance of touching your web stack, and the prefix of just about everything can be set to the same place. I do like how the pg packages install and where it puts things, so it's been awhile since I last built pg.

Anyway, hope this helps and I'll probably contribute more to this thread later.

I thought I heard at one of the dotlrn meetings that the last dotlrn was about to be released, as MIT Sloan stopped using it. (can someone confirm this?)

-Jim