Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Help with openacs installing

Collapse
Posted by Bjoern Kiesbye on
Hello Jim,

you are right, snprintf is the preferred way, i did use that too when i was writing a simple custom gzip_http_post method. With original code I just meant, it's know to work code,and not new code introduced by the patch, which may lead to problems in case the patch is applied.
As well i was uncertain if fixing this is going to be appreciated at all, because development efforts seem to go more into NaviServer rather then Aolserver. Hearing that there is still interest i can make the changes, and would appreciated some guidance.

First Question is there a preferred way to set the interp result, as there are 2 ways Tcl_SetResult/Tcl_SetObjResult and Tcl_AppendResult. Currently the result is set to a single string, to replace it by the new API I would go with.

Example Integer:

sprintf(interp->result, "%d", nread);

is replaced by

Tcl_SetObjResult(interp, Tcl_NewIntObj(nread));

Example String(1):

interp->result = "could not register callback";

is replaced by

Tcl_SetResult(interp, "could not register callback", TCL_STATIC);

Example String(2):

sprintf(interp->result, "%s", Tcl_GetChannelName(chan));

is replaced by

Tcl_SetResult(interp, Tcl_GetChannelName(chan), TCL_VOLATILE);

Thanks Bjoern

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Yes, -and- these API calls should work in tcl-8.5 as well.

-Jim

Collapse
Posted by Bjoern Kiesbye on
Hi Jim,

I updated the patch to use the new tcl API, at one point I had to use the Function Tcl_ObjPrintf, which is available in tcl8.5/.6 only, As the function is not available in tcl8.4 I wrapped it in a #if which checks the tcl version, and in case a the tcl version is 8.4 or lower snprintf is used instead.

Example:

+#if (TCL_MAJOR_VERSION >= 8) && (TCL_MINOR_VERSION > 4 )
+ Tcl_SetObjResult(interp, Tcl_ObjPrintf("%lu", peercert == NULL ? 0 : X509_get_version(peercert) + 1));
+#else
+ snprintf(&buf, sizeof(buf), "%lu", peercert == NULL ? 0 : X509_get_version(peercert) + 1);
+ Tcl_SetResult(interp, buf, TCL_VOLATILE);
+#endif

http://www.clever-devel.com/file/35043/nsopenssl-interp-result-0.1.1.patch

-bjoern