Forum OpenACS Q&A: Where to add X-Frame-Options headers?

Hi all

I'm running an older version of OpenACS but hopefully someone will be able to give me a pointer about this. We have a requirement to add an X-Frame-Options header to all response headers (see https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Clickjacking_Defense_Cheat_Sheet ).

I have modified the rp_handler proc in acs-tcl/tcl/request-processor-procs.tcl by adding the following line at the start of the proc:

ns_set put [ns_conn outputheaders] X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN

Using Firebug in Firefox to inspect, I can see the X-Frame-Options headers are correctly output in 99% of cases. However there are a few files (JS and CSS files mainly) that still don't output the X-Frame-Options header.

My current working theory on this (not confirmed) is that these files get sourced directly in the ADP using 'script src=' and 'link rel="stylesheet"' HTML tags, whereas the ones that correctly have the headers are sourced using the template::head::add_javascript and template::head::add_css procs. However, I would still have thought that the request processor would have handled the delivery of these files.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Brian

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
see the sample configuration on [1]

all the best
-g
[1] https://bitbucket.org/naviserver/nsssl

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Hi Gustaf

I should have mentioned that we still use AOLserver, so I believe the extraheaders is unfortunately not available to us.

Is there another solution?

thanks
Brian

Collapse
I figured it out - I had to add the headers also to rp_resources_filter. It's working perfectly now.

Brian

Collapse
Posted by Jenny Real on
Hi Brian,

What version of OpenACS are you using?
I also have the same problem trying to configure X-Frame options.

Thanks,

Collapse
Hi Jenny

I am using an ancient and heavily modified version. However I did manage to get it working by adding those changes to packages/acs-tcl/tcl/request-processor-procs.tcl

Brian

Collapse
Posted by Jenny Real on
Hi Brian,

I was able to make it work by adding them to procedure rp_filter also in packages/acs-tcl/tcl/request-processor-procs.tcl.

Will just have to run some tests to make sure nothing is broken.

Thanks a lot!