Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Need reviewer for addition to bug-tracker

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Quick question: Why didn't you use dynamic types? Or is the purpose to allow third party applications to extend bug tracker and save the additional data within their own tables (instead of the extension of the bugs table).

Sorry, maybe I missed the discussion around this, but otherwise the code looks fine though I am not sure which method you use for the add_new_log_entry callback to get the data. Maybe you could post an implementation as well?

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Hi Malte...

The implementation I did (for holycow on irc AKA rob taylor) involves two packages, one to implement a templating data type and corresponding widget needed to gather time interval data, and the other to administrate and generate rudamentary reports on the collected data.

Specifically, we wanted to allow an issue worker/resolver to be able to record time spent and location where it was spent.

These packages (tarballs) are at:

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hm... interesting. Apparently you did not use logger for the time tracking. It will be interesting to see how much further bug tracker moves into the project manager direction before they merge (or bug-tracker becomes a default workflow within project manager with patches being a dtype field).
Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
But my question is, is this set of callbacks OK to actually add to bug-tracker?

If so, I intend to commit them to HEAD...

Collapse
Posted by Robert Taylor on
malte, the overal goal of any app development is to evaluate the current package for it's usecase and think about whether or not it makes sense to actually modify the package or not in the first place.

the approach here was simply to add some extra functionality to bug tracker quickly without touching bt as it works very well as it is.

we don't want to make bug tracker into a project manager at all, instead the idea is to add further modules to bt and extend its capabilities on an as needed basis.

with that being said, as jim has mentioned on occasion we are seeing this more as a one off solution for my immediate needs and perhaps a more elegant solution will be needed later down the road. my guess is that the solution will move closer toward incorporating something like jasper reports as a backend report generator to generate the various queries that i needed, and split off the time accounting into a project management component (that may already exist i can't remember), and tying all of that into the port of sql ledger that is happening.

so, keep all packages as they are and let them do what they do best. add functionality in a modular way when possible, think long term and bring in the proper components to extend for the required functionality.

in effect, i disagree with lars' conclusion that code/application re-use is not possible.

Solution Grove is interested in adding bulk actions to bugtracker, so you can check off several tickets and close or reassign them. (or any other action)

Has anyone started working on this or is anyone interested in collaborating on this feature?

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Well, not dynamic types partly because I don't really understand them well enough to know whether they might be applicable to the situation, but also because of your latter guess: to allow subscribing code to find their own way to store their own data and to associate said data with the bug log entry.

As far as discussion, I didn't really post anything before this... so you can look at this as "let's talk about including this; here's code to look at".