Forum OpenACS Q&A: Postgres 7.1.3 or 7.2.1 for production environment?

I've seen a number of threads over the past several months discussing various issues with OpenACS and PG 7.2, even one as recent as last week. The 4.5 install docs also call for PG 7.1.3, though that may be simply b/c those docs have not been updated to reflect the resolution of issues with PG 7.2.

Is there a consensus on whether PG 7.1.3 or 7.2.1 is better for a solid production environment at this point? Are there any special compilation or configuration steps required to use PG 7.2.x?

Thanks,

Hi David,

We still use 7.1.3 for our production server.  Although I am using 7.2.1 on my machine, but I hardly have been developing OACS lately.  There are still issues regarding 7.2.x look around the bboard.  Here is a thread also that might help

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0005PD&topic_id=12&topic=OpenACS%204%2e0%20Design

I think... not sure OACS 4.5 will run out of the box with 7.2.1 since that is what happened on my machine.  Although I haven't tested it very well.

The CVS head runs with PG 7.2 but you're probably best off with PG 7.1.3 if you want to use the 4.6 tarball.  I think we may require 7.2 for 4.6 but that remains to be seen (7.2's been out for months).  I think we'll definitely recommend it even if we don't require it because 7.2 has some significant improvements over 7.1, including many bug fixes.