Forum OpenACS Q&A: ANN: New webmail package added to CVS

Hi all,

I am happy to annouce the webmail-system package. I was finally able to recover the files after a system crash. You may find it under openacs-4/packages/webmail-system.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS PACKAGE IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. READ THE DEVELOPER README FILE FIRST!!!

Please note that there are several readme files

- openacs-4/README
- openacs-4/packages/webmail-system/www/help/USER-README
- openacs-4/packages/webmail-system/www/doc/DEVELOPER-README

Please do not install the package. Read the DEVELOPER-README first as you will need an IMAP client to run the system. You need to install:

- OPENSSL
- KERBEROS
- UW-IMAP SERVER
- NS_IMAP AOLSERVER MODULE
- TCLLIB for SMTP
- An MTA

The data model is only provided for PostgreSQL though the migration to Oracle is a matter of 1 hour.

There are some configurations you can do under the site-map properties. You only need to mount the packages once.

Note that you need an imap server first before you are able to use the webmail system:

For instance:
Type: /imap
Servername: rumms
IMAP-Adress: rumms.uni-mannheim.de
IAMP Port:143
Host:rumms.uni-mannheim.de
SMTP:rumms.uni-mannheim.de
SMTP Port:25
SMTP-Auth:no

Also you need to have a valid account for that Server. By default your current account (username/password) is take used for OpenACS. If they differ you will get an error message that the service is not available. Then you need to add an account manually.

The webmail-sytem is written in a way that you can have several servers and several accounts a user can switch in between. Which means that you can have a gmail, gmx, yahoo, ... account and access them all via the webmail-system but only one at once.

The packages is available is german and english (us).

The toolbar can be configures for each user to show as icons or text.

I have tested the system with imap, pop3 without any problems.

Please note that this package was initially written by Ayman Mohamed (thank you) but is a complete rewrite.

The package is sent without any warranties and fittness for any purpose. The standard GPL license applies.

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on