Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to dotLRN applets for Wimpy Point (slim) and Glossary

Samir,

I have worked with the newest version of Wimpy Point for OpenACS and it needs some work before it can be ported to dotLRN. The present version has a few bugs, some which can even cause database inconsistencies (one slide had three live revisions with two different sort keys, every slide should just have one live revision and one sort key which caused an error - Peter Marklund tracked the problem down, but could not find the cause).

One thing that is missing is a function which allows the user to create a computer/network independent version of their presentation (for backup purposes). Printing each individual slide is quite laborious and unpractical (having something serverside that creates a pdf of all the slides would be nice).

As far as a standard for glossary export (as you asked in the other thread) you should seriously consider the IMS Content Packaging Specification as outlined here: http://www.imsglobal.org/content/packaging/index.cfm

I found a sample implementation of an export from a glossary tool in a commercial eLearning platform: http://www.webct.com/service/ViewContent?contentID=10936290 Starting on page 64 of the document you will find an recommended IMS data manifest and data file for the WebCT glossary tool.

It would also be nice to see a bulk upload/download feature for glossary which uses a format the users are used to dealing with (e.g. .csv).

I also feel that it is critical for the platform that all dotLRN packages/ applets take advantage of the group/community structures which are built into dotLRN (which I hope make it into OpenACS soon). This applies to both the glossary and Wimpy Point (and all other packages/applets for that matter). This would allow for different levels of collaborative authoring, content sharing, permissioning and publication with others in learning communities. Content should be able to be shared and commented on within a scope defined by the author, so that the author can publish to any user, group, or the general public. It would be best if there was a single UI for this. This kind of functionality will eventually make dotLRN stand out of the crowd... I really look forward to seeing the approach taken with the Research and Collaboration tool.