Forum .LRN Q&A: dotlrn now requiring PG 7.2

Collapse
Posted by Arjun Sanyal on
Given the feedback on Ben's post in this thread:
https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0005UV&topic_id=OpenACS&topic=11

We are requiring PG 7.2 for dotlrn use.
We won't be backfixing dotlrn for PG 7.1.

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Arjun,

By doing that I think you are forking from OACS 4.5. How do we explain users otherwise?
I understand that PG 7.1 is bringing you trouble, but my understanding is that OACS will not support 7.2 until OACS 4.6, is this right?

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Rafael, dotLRN currently requires OpenACS from CVS checkout, given a
number of required fixes that have gone back into OpenACS already. This
means the dotLRN release will most probably require OpenACS 4.6.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think it probably does require OpenACS 4.6 already.

Both dotLRN and OpenACS will be facing PG 7.3 beta in about four weeks, so trying to support PG 7.1 would soon require us to try to support three rather than two versions.  That's a tall order.

This does mean we need to work towards a 4.6 relatively soon ...

Collapse
OK, lets say dotlrn requires 4.6 and 4.6 only supports PG 7.2.

Whatis the best way to have both 4.5 and 4.6 in the same machine?
We need to document this. In fact there is not documentation on 4.6 that I know of.

In another thread people was asking today about packages that were not proted from 3.2 to 4.5. Should we tell them that they will be ported to 4.6 instead?

I need to manage a large number of theses projects so I am trying to keep up with all that is happening, but often find it difficult anyway.  If this happens to me what can we expect for the ocassional user/developer that the community needs to attract?

Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
Rafael, it is quite easy to run 2 PG versions on the same machine.  You need only run one version on the default TCP/IP port of 5432 and installed in the default location such as /usr/local/pgsql(varies by OS); then, install the other version in a different set of directories and use a different TCP/IP port.  It is quite easy to configure AOLServer/OpenACS to talk to whichever PG version you wish it to.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Rafael ... as always it's mostly about people resource issues.  Neophytos offered a few weeks ago to help out by picking up the nuts-and-bolts of keeping current status and that sort of stuff kept up to date when we move forward to 4.6.

I'm hoping that this arrangement will improve communications, which I freely admit have been lacking.

Collapse
Don,

Please do not missunderstand me. I am grateful to OF and you form doing what you do. I think you are doing a very good job. I am just pointing out this communication problems. Maybe my use of the "f" word in the original posting sounded a bit hard 😊.