Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
If I was the Queen, it would work like this:

Ongoing development would be committed to private repositories. Only when the work neared completion would it go into HEAD, which would, as you said, be considered unstable. Ongoing bugfixes and small changes would be made directly in HEAD.

When it was time for a release a new branch would be opened up, and last minute fixes would be done there. After the release was done, the branch would be merged back into HEAD and there would be no other branches until the next release.

However, I'm not the Queen and we have an even more complicated setup than most projects because core and packages are released separately, so the above probably wouldn't work.

I have never been exactly sure what the current process is; I don't commit all that often so when I do need to I just find out from Dave where it should go. That way I won't screw it up.

Collapse
Posted by Stan Kaufman on
I have never been exactly sure what the current process is; I don't commit all that often...

Seems to me that that is the undesirable result of all this: multiple people solve the same problems on their own without getting the solutions back to the common code base, so we all duplicate each others' work and still wind up with unfixed problems.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
While I agree with Stan's point, I should clarify that the cause and effect in my case are not as they appear. I don't commit much anymore because the sites I work on have not released their code, and because some of what I do is too specialized to be of use to anyone else. So I am unfamiliar with the current processes because I don't have a need to commit very often, not the other way around.